In The Garden: Identify Please?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Ambergris, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Ambergris

Ambergris Member

I have dozens of these wild flowers growing in my yard, more pop up every year. My efforts to identify them on a web site has been futile. They are about a foot and half tall, have strong green stalks and a little deep red maroon flower at the top that lasts for weeks. They come in spring and die off in Fall and are expanding. Any help would be greatly appreciated.........Thanks, JT : )

Attached Files:

2. Marpole

Marpole Member

Silene coronaria?

3. Ambergris

Ambergris Member

Oh my you got it right off Marpole. I quickly typed the name into Google and the images are a direct match. Now I am going to go read up on them. Thank you so much...: )

4. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

It is better known as Lychnis coronaria.

5. Ambergris

Ambergris Member

They go by several nick names, including Bloody William and more commonly, Rose Campions. I love them. I started out with a couple about 3 years ago and now there are more than 30. Nobody else around here has any... Love 'em : )

6. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

And if they get too out of control they are easily removed. Did you know they come in white and red also? They are mentioned in English History as early as about 1300 AD if I remember correctly.

7. Ambergris

Ambergris Member

Hi Barbara..

I have been reading about them all afternoon since they got identified. They are a bit out of control but I am enjoying seeing them spread so swiftly. Mine are all red, but a very deep, maroon style red. I get lots of questions/compliments by passerby's about them since I am the only one in the neighborhood, (or just about anywhere else locally for that matter) that has them. Mostly people ask me what they are, prompting me to finally try here in identifying them. If they really start to take over, I will transplant some to the back yard which is much bigger.... Thanks for your info dear... JT : )

8. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

Your welcome and glad to help. Your lucky. I have the pink and have seen the white but not the red.

9. Marpole

Marpole Member

You're welcome! I have the red ones like you, but had no idea it came in white and pink. I'm definitely going to keep an eye out for those now though.

Happy Gardening!