what is this tree please

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by confusedtreeguy, Jun 8, 2012.

1. confusedtreeguy

confusedtreeguy Member

these trees seem to have sprung up all over in my yard after a couple years of good rain. Not sure what they are. I thought they were a fruit tree or nut tree but i dont see any fruit or nuts on them. they have thorns coming out where the leafs break off the branch...picture attached. thanks in advance for your help identifiying this plant.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Can you add some more pics, please? Something to show the whole tree, and one showing how the leaves are arranged on the twigs, would help.

3. confusedtreeguy

confusedtreeguy Member

More pictures added. There seems to be a thorn where each leave section comes off the main trunk. I really thought this was a fruiting tree they seem like it. Either burried by squirrels, rodents or pooped out by birds. They are springing up were other fruit trees sprang up in the yard. Like someting was storing fruit if that helps. They lose thier leaves each winter and look very much like a fruiting or nut tree. The viens on the leafs come off a main branch that goes from bottom to top. The leaf pods are staggard up the branch not next to each other. Really would be interested to know what these are.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Probably Pyrus kawakamii.

5. confusedtreeguy

confusedtreeguy Member

wow that was fast. Thanks for the ID. It sure does look like that is the plant. I was kind of hoping they were a fruit tree that was edible. However it may have some other qualities to it. It gets cold enough here were I live for it to drop its leaves in winter. I will transplant them this winter to a better spot somewhere else.

Thanks again.