I need help with my ficus bonsai tree

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Daffodil21, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Daffodil21

Daffodil21 Member

Hello all. I'm new here and found this place trying to figure out what I can do to help my tree. My sis got me a ficus bonsai tree about 4 years ago and haven't had time to prune it. I've been busy taking care of 3 kids. Now that they are older I have time to work on it. The leaves aren't falling off or anything. It is showing recent growth activity and the leaves start about half way down the branches. It has a couple lengthy branches and looks a little funny. It is in the sun most of the day and get watered once bi-weekly and sprayed once a week. It seems very healthy and is starting a growth spurt. I would like to get more branches and leaves to give it a more full look.

I have been doing some research and found out that if it is having a growth spurt that I should go ahead and defoliate it. I was wondering if that is true and if I should. I decided to try something with my long branches so, fingers crossed, I hope it turns out as good as it looks in my head. I also heard that trimming the roots will promote new branches. If anyone can help me, any advice is good advice.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  2. bertoli55

bertoli55 Active Member 10 Years

Hi Daffodil21
    You have done well to keep your bonsai alive -looking after kids can take all of your time and attention. I have several bonsai ficus (Ficus macrophylla and Ficus lyrata) ranging from 55 years old to a 2 year seedling. My bonsai are grown outside and each November (the last month of our spring) i remove all of the leaves. This helps to reduce the growth spurt and reduce leaf size. I also always tip prune - just pinch out new shoots- to help the plants become more bushy.

Your plant looks as though it needs a bit of a trim to help make it more compact. I'm not sure of the current temperature where you are, but make sure that you really only do major prunes in your growing season.

Do you have a nursery selling bonsai near you? If so it is worthwhile visiting and wandering around so that you can see how plants are wired, trimmed etc. Some places will trim and wire plants for you, I'm not sure what the charges are like there.

Good luck with your ficus. ciao bertoli

3. kome

kome Active Member

Hello Daffoldil21, Ageed with your ideal and according to your pot size I'll recommend to prune each branch at least 50-pct back and cut one branch in every 1-2 months, depend on tree's growth situation. Generally, if new sprouts coming out, you can prune next branch. And you can prune the root in same time. enjoy your pruning!

4. bertoli55

bertoli55 Active Member 10 Years