Does anyone sell JM seedlings in Canada?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Asia, May 22, 2007.

1. Asia

Asia Member

Greetings from Toronto!

I purchased a lovely Shaina JM for my back patio garden (full sun in the morning, part shade in the afternoon) and a Bloodgood JM for my front courtyard garden (part sun in morning and afternoon, with a bit of dappled shade from some 4 story tall elm trees) - these trees make me smile and now I want more!

I have looked at some of the many varieties of Acer Palmatum online and I want so many of them - however the local nurseries only have certain types, and most of them are dissectum/cut leaf which I don't like as much.

Not to mention, the prices can be staggering!

In my searches I have found many sites and listings on eBay for JM seedlings, but they do not ship to Canada.

Does anyone know of any place to buy JM seedlings in Canada or that ship to Canada?

Being a novice I am intimidated by the instructions for growing a seedling from seed... which is why I am hoping to find seedlings.

Any thoughts?

2. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Asia for some cultivar is not legal the commerce in Canada ,for start one idea is :take the seeds in park of your country in autum is easy and GRATIS when your experience is good you search seeds in botanical hortus or Re write in this forum .alex

3. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

How many do you need? Seeds are cheap and easy.

4. Acer palmatum 'Crazy'

Acer palmatum 'Crazy' Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Hi Asia,
    I buy alot of maples from someone located near Rochester, NY.
    If you send me a email i ill send you her email address.

If she cannot ship them to you, maybe you could drive down that way sometime.

Mike

5. Asia

Asia Member

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

I will definitely research the forum to learn how to grow my own seedlings.

In the meantime I will send Mike an email and find out more about his contact in Rochester - that is not too far to drive for another Japanese Maple!

Thanks for all your help - I am so glad I found this board!

Asia

6. Asia

Asia Member

I can't seem to send Mike a message... perhaps because I have not been on the forum long enough or have not posted enough yet?

In the meantime, I realized I did not answer Globalist's question...

The Japanese Maples that have caught my eye the most are the Red/Coral bark varieties like Sango Kaku or Beni Kawa.

I have only seen pictures of Shin Deshojo but it looks beautiful.

Hogyoku and Osakazuki are my favourites of the JM's with green leaves I have seen in pictures.

While in BC I saw many JM's that were a beautiful scarlet red, instead of the plum-purple red of the Bloodgood but I have never seen any here in Ontario... I thought perhaps it was the different climate and softer water?

7. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I've bumped your user level up so you can either send a PM or email.

8. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Asia for coulor is important soils ,fertilize and expositions if water is "rain"(neutral and rich of sal) is best

9. castawaykev

castawaykev Active Member

I just opened a small ornamental nursery, and my main thing is japanese maples. I grow a lot from seed. My seedlings range $8.80-11, and some are a lot truer to their parent then others. \but that is half the fun of growing them from seed...and i have tried over 60 types. We sell only in canada! www.thehoneytreenursery.com

10. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I went and looked at your site, very pretty. But you seem to be selling seedlings and calling them the cultivar. Correct me if I'm wrong. I saw AJ aconitifolium, 4 seedlings available.

Remember that a cultivar is a true clone of the parent, not an offspring. So you can graft or do rooted cuttings, but a seedling of Aconitifolium is not Aconitifolium.

I love seedlings, so I respect your enjoyment of them too...

-E

11. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Kevin,
    I had much the same thoughts as Emery on seeing your website. On the one hand I admire your enthusiasm for growing trees from seed..... but in Japanese maple circles it is not considered ethical to sell those seedlings under the female parent's cultivar name.

12. castawaykev

Hi guys,

Thanks and yes you are correct. I am still updating the website. I do know that you can't call the seedling of a cultivar by the same name. What I want and thought I had written at the top of the Japanese maple page was "all seedlings are seedlings of the cultivar herein named, but cannot be called that cultivar". In other words "seedling of an Inaba Shidare parent tree". Not knowing what cross polinated it never helps. Thanks guys....I best change that quickly. I am very passionate about Japanese Maples and never want to mislead anyone.

Kev

BTW all the trees that I sell at the 1-2', 2-3' and 3-4' size are actually grafts from the parent...and thus can be called that cultivar. Thanks again for the heads up.

Kev

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2011
  13. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi Kev,

Nothing wrong with selling a "seedling of Inaba shidare parent tree"; the confusing thing about your site is that the seedlings and the grafted cultivars are accessed from the same page and some people might not understand the difference. It would be better to have one page for the grafted cultivars and another for the seedling maples.

Good luck with the website, I hope you can make a success of it.

14. castawaykev

Hi Maf,

Thanks for your input. I will consider adding a separate "Japanese Maple Seedling" page. At the moment I did just update it with a note re: the seedlings and that they are not true to the parent cultivar. Although a lot seem to resemble the parent. I noticed that in some cultivars they tend to resemble the parent a lot more than in others. I imagine some of that has to do with pollination (parentage). Some with genetics (stronger cultivars). And a little luck thrown in. :)

I have over 5000 seeds germinating in my "germination fridge", plus what outdoor planted. However, the majority of what I sold last year was purely grafts. I find some people, those into Bonsai or who just want a cheap japanese maple, will take a chance on a $8-11 seedling.

My basement is set up with fans, grow lights, germinations soil, vermiculite, perilite etc. My wife gives me heck all the time....speaking of that...best get upstairs to see my wife and son..before they disown me ...haha.

15. castawaykev

I added the "Japanese Maple Seedling" page to my web site. Hope it looks better and makes more sense.

Thanks Kev

www.thehoneytreenursery.com

16. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I think that's certainly much clearer, thanks Kevin.

Ho hum, starting to get babies up in the seed trays here, this strange spring where there should be many frosts yet to come.

-E