Priorities for re-opening forums / moderators sought

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Feedback' started by Daniel Mosquin, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

To continue this thread and this thread:

I now have in place what my managers have asked me to do re: formalizing guidelines for moderators. So, we can now move (slowly) forward with the following:

Moderators are sought for the following forums, in priority order. See following post for instructions and how this will work. Forum titles in this colour are open, but could still use additional moderators:

HIGH UBC BOTANICAL GARDEN PRIORITIES

• Gardening for Backyard Biodiversity in Canada - forum has one moderator, seeking second moderator
    • Pacific Northwest Native Plants - forum has one moderator, seeking second moderator
    • Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific NW - forum has two moderators, seeking a third moderator
    • Japanese Gardens - forum looked after by UBC admin, seeking additional moderator
    • Celebrate Biodiversity - forum looked after by UBC admin, seeking additional moderator

UBC BOTANICAL GARDEN PRIORITIES and USER FEEDBACK

• Indoor and Greenhouse Plants - forum has two moderators, seeking third moderator
    • Gymnosperms - forum has one moderator, seeking second moderator
    • Ornamental Cherries - forum has one moderator, seeking second moderator
    • Garden Pest Management and Identification - seeking two moderators, 1 needed to reopen forum to new threads
    • Woody Plants - seeking two moderators, 1 needed to reopen forum to new threads
    • Fruit and Vegetable Gardening - seeking two moderators, 1 needed to reopen forum to new threads
    • Grapes and Grape Vines - seeking two moderators, 1 needed to reopen forum to new threads

UBC BOTANICAL GARDEN PRIORITIES

• Fruit and Nut Trees - forum has zero moderators, seeking two moderators
    • Magnoliaceae - forum has one moderator, seeking second moderator
    • Ericaceae (rhododendrons, arbutus, etc.) - seeking two moderators, 1 needed to reopen forum to new threads

USER FEEDBACK

• Araceae - forum has zero moderators, seeking two moderators
    • Citrus - seeking two moderators, 1 needed to reopen forum to new threads
    • Small Space Gardening - seeking two moderators, 1 needed to reopen forum to new threads
    • Annuals / Biennials / Perennials - seeking two moderators, 1 needed to reopen forum to new threads

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I am willing to take on an additional moderator every two weeks or so (as long as I am at work for 2 consecutive weeks), just so that I can be available for questions and the like.

Just to jumpstart things, I can take one additional moderator right now in addition to Michael F. After that, the next dates will be approx.
    Mar 6 and Mar 20.

People interested in becoming moderators for higher priority forums will move to the head of the queue (if there are multiple people interested in moderating different forums at the same time).

If you are interested in becoming a moderator, please send me a Private Message, and I will email you the list of expectations for moderators for your consideration.

3. Daniel Mosquin

Just *bumping* this -- I'm not available to do any more changes to the forums for the next 10 days or so, but I'd be grateful if there was possibly another moderator lined up to start around March 6 to reopen another forum.

Please send me a private message if interested in any of the above.

4. janetdoyle

janetdoyle Active Member 10 Years

Victoria [Saanich, actually, northeast of Victoria
    I'm afraid I just don't understand the above -- some newly-titled forums and some crossed-off and the crossed-off ones are still active but moderated by someone other than Daniel? Okay, on re-reading and thinking I guess I understand it. The lined-out ones don't need moderators.

I am glad to see Woody Plants [shrubs] and Ericaceae there; as I understand it (sort of) annuals, biennials and perennials will be in another forum together, and small-space gardening will be a forum [hooray]? Glad to see Japanese gardening arts is there. Looks good, Daniel, although being confronted with the first post in this informational forum is at first daunting as to what is happening, with the titles lined-out.

Good luck!

5. Daniel Mosquin

I've taken away the striking out bits, and made changes for the sake of clarity, Janet. Hope it is clearer now.

6. janetdoyle

On quick survey looks good, Daniel, thanks. Didn't mean to be peremptory. Just that I was on first reading kind of puzzled, now after pondering it I understood, I thought, but it looks easier for everyone to see what's happening now! Thank you for all your work in a busy, underfunded time on our continent... hard to do this stuff with a minimum of staff, dollars and time.

7. Daniel Mosquin

*bumping again* It is a good time of year to become a moderator, as there is less activity compared to the summertime, so it is easier to learn the ropes.

8. janetdoyle

Wish I had time this year, will consider it perhaps one day. I will have lots of questions regarding plants, though, in a month or so!

9. Daniel Mosquin

And updated again

10. Sea Witch

Sea Witch Active Member

Daniel, in your list of "priority" forums needing moderators, a couple say "user feedback". What does that mean?

11. Daniel Mosquin

There was a survey of members (somewhere there's a forum thread) asking the forum users what they would like to be reopened if moderators were available.

12. Daniel Mosquin

Another bump for this. Note that two open forums, Araceae and Fruit and Nut Trees no longer have active moderators. I'd really, really like to have someone in addition to UBC staff to help with these (and continue to seek moderators for those other sections).