I bought a grafting knife.....

Discussion in 'Maples' started by whis4ey, Aug 18, 2007.

1. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

I have been planning to try out grafting for some time now, and yesterday I decided to buy myself a good grafting knife ... a Tinus 640 that cost me a cool fifty quid ...eek!!
    OK, I says to myself ...lets have a look at the possible rootstalk that I have (I have a few seedlings for some years that would just be ideal size for grafting)
    I couldn't find them..
    So I spoke to wifey
    Oh ... those little tree plants ... we obviously had far too many that we didn't need so I gave some away ..... eek!!!
    (you gotta love a woman)
    Anyways ... I have two seedlings that would be an ideal size for grafting
    And ... I have loads and loads of possible scions
    And .. I have new seedlings that will be ideal in about two years time for rootstalk
    Meantime ... my question is .. for you experts who graft regularly ... what is your success rate?
    25? 40? 50?%? or more??
    For you guys who have just started along this avenue .... how have you found it?
    What should I be aware of?
    Do you have any special mixes that work better than others?
    Lets have your thoughts on the amateur entering into this unknown world of grafting ...

Attached Files:

2. Galt

Galt Active Member

First time.......two seedlings, you best graft 4 scions at least. I would say 25-40% success summer, 50-60% winter initial success.

It is best to have your rootstock in some stage of active root growth, so you would want to pull them an look for new root nodules emerging and some root elongation. A stagnant root system seems to equate to lesser results. An over fertilized overly vigorous rootstock will flood the union and cause failure often times.

If you do summer grafting, you will need to maintain some humidity around the union until it heals. A longer cut or union can offer improved results. Ideal depth is important as a poorly made superficial cut will callous before knitting.

Good luck and find some more rootstock.

3. whis4ey

Are you suggesting two scions grafted onto a single rootstalk?

4. ToddTheLorax

ToddTheLorax Active Member

Regarding your purchase of a Tinus 640, I assume you mean Tina. That's regarded as a very good brand, but you should have inquired before buying it.

If a quid is the same as a pound and a pound equates to about two dollars American - you spent a hundred bucks! You'll need to be very succesful in your grafting to come out ahead on that deal.

I believe (and I'm only an amateur like yourself) that the key specifications for a grafting knife are a good hard steel - very sharp - and only beveled on one side. But since grafting is usually done with a towards the body motion (generally a no-no with a very sharp knife) you want the bevel designed for your off hand. In other words, if you'll cut with your right hand - you'll want a left handed bevel.

Knowing that - you can go to a woodworking shop and buy a carving knife that will work just as well as save a bunch of money. The last one I bought cost 15 dollars American. It was super sharp and easily shaved hair off my arm right out of the box. I know of more than one professional who swears by japanese style carving (woodworking) knives.

But don't sweat it - I'm sure you got a good product. Good luck on your project. Maybe post your results. The first time I tried was a near total failure but every subsequent attempt has been a little better.

5. whis4ey

hehehe
    NOW you tell me .....
    The knife ( a Tina of course) wasn't bought to make any profit
    If I ever get enough root stock I will let you know how it goes :)