Clumping Bamboo Roots

Discussion in 'Poaceae' started by drandall, Apr 3, 2007.

1. drandall

drandall Member

I have a beautiful hedge of very tall clumping bamboo which acts as a great barrier. I have contained the clumps with a chemical barrier, however, I think it is sending a mesh like root system throughout the garden, and I am having a hard time with other plants and flowers. What do I do about this? Also, it seems the first shoots on the inside of the clumps are dying. Is this normal? Can anyone help?
    Thanks.

2. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Are you sure they are clumping? Clumps stay put and don't need barriers.
    Liz

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Throughout the garden = running bamboo.

4. drandall

drandall Member

oh - i thought running bamboo meant the culms will shoot up all over the yard. Mine only come up next to the clump. But those fine, thick mesh roots are traveling. What do I do??

5. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

How far does this root system extend beyond the clumps? Even with a narrow clumper, the fibrous root system will still extend beyond from the confines of the clump itself - it needs to anchor itself, and extend the root far enough for nutrients and water.

How old is the bamboo? Are you sure it's all roots that is "spreading"? Some temperate running bamboos may throw off rhizomes all over for a year or two before the "satellite" clumps start to show up.

What do you mean by "chemical barriers"?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2007
  6. drandall

drandall Member

thank you for your reply! the mesh root system extends 3 - 6 feet. We have had the bamboo almost 4 years. We put 13 24" boxes along the fence, so they were pretty mature when we started.

My landscaper (who isn't around anymore) said he put a chemical barrier (I think like a roll of mesh screen when he planted them), which would contain the clumps. I don't know what chemical it is.

Is it normal for the first culms in the center of the clump to die? If not - what can cause this?

Thanks for your help

7. bambooman

bambooman Member

How old is the plants? They may just be root bound. Try digging them out and dividing them. Then only put half of the plants back in there. Canes only live for so long and it may be that they are at the end of their life expectency. That is what I think because the oldest canes are in the center of the clump in a clumping variety. If you can get to them they should be cut out if dead. This will help to open up the grove to more sunlight and may rejuvenate the plant.