Fig tree propagation from fruit?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Unregistered, Apr 30, 2005.

1. Hi all-
    I have a large weeping fig tree that I've had for about 10 years. I've gone through the usual battles with this temperamental plant, but I must now be doing something that it likes as it is now presenting me with a rain of pea-sized green figs. Are these likely to be fertile? Should I plant them, or are they unlikely to grow?

2. dogseadepression

dogseadepression Active Member

Dear Unregistered,wait for the fruit to rippen and than carfully open the fruitand check for fertile seeds by doing the fertile seed test by putting the seeds in water and seeing if any sink or float if they are at the bottom of a container of water they are fertile, if they float they are probally unfertile. thank for your Question, Wyatt houseplant grower.

3. treelover3

treelover3 Active Member

It's very easy to root a cutting from your tree if you want/desire another plant. It's unlikely that the seed in the figs is fertile as many figs have a very special pollinating insect required to pollinate the fruit.

The sink/float test is generally a good way to test to see if seed is good (will germinate), but the sink/float test does NOT work for all seeds.

Cut one of the fruit in half, after the fruit is ripe, and then remove and sow the seed and see what happens. You may or may not get any seedlings, so don't be disappointed if none of the seed germinates.

I would guess that the seed will need light to germinate, so don't cover the seed after sowing - just sprinkle the seed on the surface of the germination mix/medium.
    Good luck,
    Mike