British Columbia: May 4, 2008 -- New Westminster Horticultural Society PLANT SALE

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwest Workshops, Events, and Societies' started by joecat, Apr 4, 2008.

1. joecat

joecat Active Member

2. joecat

joecat Active Member

We're done dividing and potting up!

Get there early for the best selection. While the doors open at 10 a.m., the queue starts much earlier. Hanging baskets, tomato seedlings, rare and unusual plants are the first to go.

On sale are thousands of competitively priced popular and unusual plants. While the bulk of the plants are perennials, we'll also have:

• tomato seedlings, 42 cultivars, including heirlooms
    • other vegetable seedlings including eggplant, peppers, herbs
    • hanging baskets
    • bedding and basket stuffers grown from seed
    • perennials in the hundreds from the common to the rare
    • grasses, ferns
    • a few roses, shrubs and trees
    • the rare and unusual, including dracunculus, bananas, toad lilies, mouse plants

All plants are identified with a tag providing detailed information on plant requirements and growth habits. We know the plants because they've been in our gardens.

There will also be a raffle with some great prizes. Proceeds from our raffle support community organizations. For a second year, we are supporting the Parent Advisory Council's fundraising drive to build a playground for Ecole Glenbrook Middle School.

About our plant sale
    Members and friends deliver plants from their gardens to a central location where plants are divided and potted on a daily basis from early March to mid-April. Most of the soil is removed so the roots can be checked and the plant is potted up with fresh soil. Before the sale, each plant checked ensure it is healthy. Those that are not up to par are culled. Plants grown from seed are initially grown in the greenhouses of several of our members. Just before sale day, they too are shipped to the yard and checked to ensure their vigour.

Our plant sale is a year round project involving eighty percent of our 200 members in one way or another. Planning for the next year's sale begins two weeks after the last one and culminates in three very intense months in spring.

Attached Files:

3. joecat

joecat Active Member

Just a reminder of our plant sale tomorrow!

I'm eying a bunch of hostas, daylilies, astilbe and small ground cover sedums for myself...
    (Where am I going to put all these plants? -- I admit it, I'm a plant addict! Oh, dahlias too...)

Get there early for the best selection, or later (1pm?) when there is a good chance that remaining plants are discounted!

There is also a raffle with nice prizes and the hosting school will be selling refreshments.

Cash only.