Help me ID this beautiful (and unusual) tree with STAR flowers! (photo)

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by MarissaRavenscourt, Nov 21, 2004.

1. MarissaRavenscourt

MarissaRavenscourt Member

Walking along today in the very cold Pacific Northwest, I saw loads of these beautiful red star-shaped flowers (complete with little blue berries in the center) on the ground and I squeaked in happiness. They fell from a tree--not a shrub or a tall plant. I've never seen anything like this, can you help me? WHAT the heck is this gorgeous ornamental tree and how have I gone through life NEVER seeing one? Thank you! Photo is attached.

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Fruits of Clerodendrum trichotomum. The flowers are white.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2004
  3. MarissaRavenscourt

THANK you!

Now, if I can just figure out what to do with the handful of berries/fruits I scooped up--will they grow if I just plant the berry in some soil?

:)
    M

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Remove seeds from berries, plant in pots filled with potting mix and place in an intermediate area, such as a cold frame, cold greenhouse or garage window, where they will be exposed to temperatures below 40 degrees F. but not freeze up like bricks. Monitor moisture (don't let them dry out), expect germination next year.

5. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

If you can get some cuttings, I have heard these described as "easy" to grow, so along with Ron's suggestions, perhaps you could sprout and grow a few inside over the winter and have them ready to plant out in the spring. They are apparently very attractive to Butterflies.
    Ralph

6. MarissaRavenscourt

Huge thanks

Thanks to both of you--I've planted the seeds, my toddler has slathered the pot in little star stickers because she believes this will "help the star tree grow" and I'll keep a close eye on it. Your advice was invaluable, and I send many, many thanks to all!

:)
    MR