Apple Tree Problem

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by cubby, Jun 9, 2005.

1. cubby

cubby Member

Thank you in advance for help...I have a good crop of apples this year but I have growth coming up from the side of my apple tree (red delicious) the leaves look the same but I kept it cut down for the last two years but this year I let it grow to see if someone can tell me what it is. I have inclosed pic-#1-is the older apple tree with pic of apple growth starting.Also pic of smaller red apple that is falling off the tree.
    #2- is the new growth at the root of my old tree. I don't know if its the same leaf? It is growing like a bush and I don't want to damage my apple tree with cutting it back as this is the first year of full fruit. When I cut this bush back I don't get fruit. Can someone tell me what it is or is it part of my apple tree? I only have this one tree.
    Cubby

Attached Files:

2. SRTech

SRTech Member

I am guessing that the growth you are seeing from the bottom of the tree is from the rootstock which your tree is grafted onto. It is usually OK to remove this, so that the fruiting part of your tree gets more energy.

3. cubby

cubby Member

Thank I was thinking the same thing but when I kept it cut down last year and the year before I had no fruit on my apple tree, this year I let it grow and I would say that I have a good amount of apples. Would it be OK to cut this back now or would it bleed too much? Also would it be OK to let one stalk grow into new tree? Thank you for your help as I am very new to gardening and fruit trees.
    Cubby...