tomato, possible blight & reusing the soil

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by flowercents, Jan 6, 2011.

1. flowercents

flowercents Active Member 10 Years

I have a large container that I grow tomatoes in every year, placed underneath my second floor patio, so it stays somewhat out of the rain. This past year I left my tomatoes on the plant a long time, waiting for them to ripen. It was getting quite cool at night before I brought them all in. Some of the tomatoes had spots on them, and I don't know if it was from the cool air, or if my tomatoes had blight. Is there anyway I can safely reuse the soil in the container? I'd prefer not to have to throw it out, it is a large amount, and I'm not sure if it was blight.

2. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

From the information you supply it is not possible to tell what was the problem with your tomatoes. However, there was wide spread late blight last fall, so it could be it.
    The blight affects only solanaceous plants, mostly potatoes and tomatoes. It can survive only in the living tissue, so be careful to destroy and dispose whatever is left of your tomato plants, including roots. Spores usually do not overwinter in the soil.
    To be on safe side, though, next season plant in the container only non-solanaceous plants (how about cucumbers?) for a change and be careful not to allow solanaceous weeds to grow there, either.

3. flowercents

flowercents Active Member 10 Years

Thanks so much for your reply. I realize my description is poor, I should have taken a few pictures. I removed the plants and majority of the roots months ago, but odds are a few will have been left behind. I may just grow cucumbers there, that is a good idea. I will miss the tomatoes though.