Please help me identify this insect

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by sheckylovejoy, Apr 6, 2008.

1. sheckylovejoy

sheckylovejoy Member

Picture attached. I have many of these all over my lavender in Los Angeles. They don't seem to be eating the leaves, but I was wondering if they were bad for the plant otherwise.

Attached Files:

• bug.jpg
      bug.jpg
      File size:
      15.2 KB
      Views:
  2. nic

nic Active Member 10 Years

I'm pretty sure that's a ladybird larva, and a good thing to have,as they eat aphids.

3. sheckylovejoy

sheckylovejoy Member

I think they may be too big -- they're about 1/2 inch long. We could use some ladybugs around here as the aphids are going crazy on the rose bushes.

4. smivies

smivies Active Member

I agree with the Ladybug ID. Size can vary by species & the 'mature' larvae of insects are often larger than the the adults

5. sheckylovejoy

sheckylovejoy Member

Ah! Well that's all good news! Thanks for the help. It makes sense b/c adult ladybugs love to hang out on lavender come summer

BTW, I just noticed that there are smaller all-black ones on the plant too. Are these the immature larvae?

6. nic

The others might be a different ladybird(bug) species, there are 40 odd in the UK, so I'd be surprised if there weren't lots where you are. Lucky you! Both the larva and the adults eat aphids, as well as the adults being rather endearing little things.

7. sheckylovejoy

sheckylovejoy Member

It looks like I have several varieties from this photo array

http://images.google.com/images?q=ladybug+larvae

8. nic

Splendid! I was looking for something like this, but keep forgetting about Google images. I've only ever seen one or two larva, so wasn't sure how much variation there might be among species. Do let us know what sorts you've got when you can identify them, please.

9. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Ask the nice folks over at Bug Guide if you're having trouble - their ladybug ID section is superb.