Sudachi trees?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Metalguy, May 25, 2013.

1. Metalguy

Metalguy New Member

So I've been trying to get my hands on a sudachi tree and I see that Four Winds Growers has some trees available... the problem is, I have talked to them and the writing is on the wall, they are not willing to co-operate with me as it pertains to getting a phytosanitary certificate.

So as of right now I'm trying to find someone, anyone in the US or Canada with some sudachi trees whose willing to be inspected... Of course when I say that, I do mean I am willing to pay for all incurring fees

2. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

If the shipper is unwilling to help and you are unable to find other sources (sorry, I have been looking but without luck), might I suggest another type of cold hardy lemon?

Yuzu Inchandrin (Citrus junos)

Zone 6 (-23C) , Ht: 6, Sun, Evergreen
    Hardiest of the edible fruiting Japanese citrus. Produces 3 tasty lemons.
    Rare.
    Evergreen threw out -18C winters, protect below this temperature and from extreme sub zero winds.

Available through Tropic to Tropic in Tsawwassen
    http://www.tropic.ca/yuzu-inchandrin-citrus-junos/ - he has several varieties of cold hardy citrus, as well as other cold hardy exotics.

I have had mine in ground from over 2 years and it is doing just fine.

3. Metalguy

Metalguy New Member

Actually I was able to find a yuzu tree at the local art knapps store but am still looking for a sudachi tree

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

5. pmurphy

After personal experience - not good - with Oasis Tropical I would not trust them any further than I could throw them.

To make a long story short, I ordered, and paid for, some plants through them off EBay last January but due to "sprinkler issues" they were unable to ship. After 3 months of excuses I then heard nothing from them ever again. By then it was too late for the EBay buyers protection so I had to go through my credit card to get the monies returned, after another 2 months. About this same time - and after too many negative feedbacks - Oasis disappeared entirely from the web (not just EBay), only to reappear this year with a fancy new webpage. Others I have know from various exotic plant forums in the US have had similar experiences or they did received the plants but they were not what they were sold as.
    FYI, Oasis convinced me they could get the plants into Canada without getting the required phyto (I was young and foolish then).....in other words they would ship the plants as something other than the actual content meaning there was a good chance you would lose the package at the border. But of course they had already informed you of a very slight chance of this happening so it is buyer beware when the package is confiscated.
    DO NOT TRUST THEM!

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

But, according to their web site

The VERY last thing we want is an unhappy, unsatisfied customer. We are always there for our customers before and after a sale no matter how long ago an order was made or how much money you spent with our company.

And so on.

For paragraphs.

Are they reviewed at Garden Watchdog?

7. pmurphy

No mention at garden watchdog but then they have only been back on the web for about 6 months (with a slight name change)......and with the same testimonials as they had over a year and a half ago.
    FYI, when I tried calling during this whole "sprinkler" fiasco all I got was a recording that someone would return my call within a couple of business days.....never got a call back and "Dr. Michael Taylor" stopped answering my emails. I found out later that Bay actually pulled them because of too make negative feedbacks.

8. Metalguy

Metalguy New Member

Well, I'm glad you mentioned that... I was looking into that website albeit a bit suspiciously... I found out Home Depot carries citrus trees from Duarte Nursery in California... I've sent them a request asking them if they could order in a sudachi tree through them... doubt they'll do it but here's hoping.

9. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

Try e-mailing "Tiny Tom's Tangerine Farm" in Tsawassen...if not in stock, still a good bet to source them.