Cox Pippin not blooming this year

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by devon1149, Apr 24, 2013.

1. devon1149

devon1149 Member

We have a Cox Pippin flanked by a Belle de Boskoop and a Fameuse. Last year the Cox and Belle both produced heavily (the Fameuse was still too young) but this year the Cox has no buds and its leaves a little curled. The other trees look great. They were all pruned and fed potash over the winter. Any suggestions? Any hope of resurrecting her for this year?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Not easy to grow in all parts of the PNW. I usually have the fruit crack etc. in Island County, WA. Cool it with the potash, unless you have a soil test report calling for it.

3. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

If the Cox is young and had a heavy crop last year, it is pretty normal for any kind of apple to skip flower production for a year under those circumstances. Young trees should not be allowed to bear heavily for that reason. It will probably have a normal crop next year, but this year is lost. Some apples have a genetic tendency to bear in alternate years, but I don't know if that is the case for the Cox's Orange.

4. devon1149

devon1149 Member

We don't know how old the tree is; it came with the house and we've been here 4 years. I think the trees had been neglected and our efforts produced results last year for the first time. I just can't figure out why the other two are doing well and this one is not.