Rapidly germinating seeds

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by mike anders, Oct 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike anders

mike anders Active Member

Millet & Hollyberry lady

Does anybody know if citrus is self pollenating? Do you have to plant more than one tree?

Also: I have been trying to grow grapes from seed too. So far I have used the seed from grapes grown here in Thailand. I read somewhere that you have to keep them at a very low temperature for about 3 months. I took them out of the fridge about a month ago but they have not germinated yet. Is it because the grapes are diferent from the european ones? How long do they normally take?

I did manage to grow some & I have attached photos on here. The ones I am showing here were not kept in the fridge. The two growing in the big pots have not grown much since September. They are the ones in my fist photo as well & I potted them on in October into the big pots. Is it because it is cool here at night? I have included the bike in the photo to show the scale/size of them. That is a mango tree behind them. They grow like weeds here!

Also a photo of two new ones which came up this month. I have put them into fibre pots so I don't have to disturb them too much when ready to pot on.

Many thanks for your intrest in my gardening so far.

Regards Mike

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  2. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

Most citrus cultivars are self~fertile and they set fruit through self-pollination, although hybrid cultivars are not self~fertile and require cross pollination to produce a good crop ~ which would mean that more than one would be required.

Your plant pics look terrific, by the way! You don't seem like someone who really needs much advice at all. Everything looks great!

Grapes grown from seed...

www.ehow.com/how_5122531_germinate-grape-seeds.html

Also...

If you have a new grape plant, prune it down to just one shoot and two or three buds, and the plant will take off from there if you care for it properly.

After that, throughout the life of your grape vine, you have to prune carefully for maximum results. Without proper trimming and care for your grape vine plants, you will not be able to reap the bountiful rewards in your harvest basket year after year.

You should really check out some information on the internet regarding grape pruning.

You want to make sure that you're planting your grape vine plants where they will have enough room to grow. If you just want one small plant, that is one thing, but if you are planting several plants, make sure that you have enough room for them to reach and grow. After all, the point of planting grapes is to tend them until they grow into beautiful, tasty grape vines that you can be proud of year after year.

You'll want to make sure the soil is fresh and healthy, and that you have enough space to plant your grapes and for them to spread and grow without restriction. You also want to make sure that you prepare your soil properly BEFORE planting the grape vine!

It would be worth taking the time to find out how to do things properly, but I hope this helps. I really couldn't tell you about the differences between the varieties, in terms of germination.

Perhaps Millet has more to add...

: )

3. mike anders

Hollyberry Lady

Many thanks for that! My Thai family are also supprised!

But I am a novice in the tropics! I had good results in my houses in the UK. I have many books about gardening & now the internet. Also I had the good fortune to work in 'Lackham School of Agriculture' in Wiltshire (where I was born) in the UK as a maintenance engineer.

I plan to build an 'arbour' so that I can grow my grapes on it. I am hoping that it will offer some shade when midsummer comes each year, when the sun is right overhead.

I will erect 4 concrete post then fix lateral beams between them to form the arbour. If 200mm beams are used @ 400 centres, running north-south, then this will shade the area below in the morning & when the sun gets past mid-day. I think it will need netting as well or something until the vines grow big enough. It will be about 4mtrs by 3mtrs

The area below is all concrete so I plan to use the big earthenware pots which I have already planted the grapes in. See in photo in previous post. If required, I can build a brick container arround the bottom of each post.

By the way, what is the max temperature for grapes? It can reach 45 C. here!

Do you think I will be able to grow 2 vines on each post? That will require 8 of them, red and white. So far I have 6, But I don't know what colour they are! I just want two more.

We eat a lot of shell fish here. Should I save the shells and grind them up for feeding the grapes?

I hope this is of intrest to you and others?

Regards Mike

4. 2annbrow

2annbrow Active Member

North Bend OR US;Oregon coast, just N of Coos Bay
    Very much so, Mike! Just bought some blood oranges, and I will try to grow the seeds, if I find some. Doubt whether they can go outside here, but from what I've seen on this thread - maybe! I will try them in my south window if they sprout, and maybe some extra light, etc. This is exciting!

5. The Hollyberry Lady

Neat...I'm trying to sprout some blood orange seeds as we speak! Got the little pot on my heat mat. Waiting...

As far as temperatures for grape growing goes...

The shells would likey provide some slow-release calcium to the vines. I save eggshells too.

6. mike anders

Hi Everybody

From what I have learned from UBC, I think the crucial thing is that the citrus needs at least 6 hours of sunlight daily. I am not sure if it needs to be hot sun or just warm.

Nath says that his citrus trees servived a -8deg. C. during this month in the UK!

Good luck & let me know how you get on with them.

Mike

7. mike anders

Hi Everyone

I had to go to Laos to renew my Thai visa last week. We had satsuma in amongst the fruit for breakfast in the hotel on Friday. Of course, I have brought back 2 seeds from them. I planted them ASAP at home. We will see if they can grow too!

Mike

8. The Hollyberry Lady

Very cool, Mike!

: o

Be sure to show us pics of the seedlings later. Love to see them!!

Good Luck...

9. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Congrats Mike,

The plants look clean and well developed..keep the images coming.

10. mike anders

Hi Everyone

I have two photos to show you!

Supprise after 6 months dormant: This is a grape which has germinated in the compost I reused for tomatos. I tipped all the seed compost out & saved it in a sack for later use. Yesterday I found a grape had sprouted next to one of my tomatoes. They will have to get along together until the tomato is finished! Maybe there are more!

Satsuma from Laos: Planted on Saturday and already germinating. The two seeds are in amongst the tomato seedling which are too late. You can just about see one of them in the middle of the photo.

Regards Mike

Attached Files:

11. The Hollyberry Lady

Looking good, Mike. I'm excited for you.

Please keep us posted. I'll let ya know about my blood orange seeds...

12. mike anders

Hollyberry Lady & Millet

I just thought I would let you know that my grape vines have started to grow again now that it stays warm here during the night time, not below about 22 deg C. We have also had some heavy rain, unusual for this time of year! I have not pruned them yet because I think it would be better to wait until I can see which are the strongest shoots.

I have also crushed up all the sea-shells I had, to make a top dressing with them to put around the grapes. As you said 'A slow release supply of calcium'

The grape seeds which were in the fridge for 3 months have now started to germinate! It has taken 6 weeks since taking them out of the fridge. There are 7 so far. I feel safe in the knowlege that if the existing ones fail I will still have others. But I still do not know what type or colour they are! Can you tell what colour by the look of the fleshy part of the stems?

They are seed from grapes grown here in Chaing Mai north west Thailand. Quite a big grape too! It is a bit cooler there & the grapes have adapted well. Maybe they do not need a 'Dormant period' the same as others do around the world?

What do you think?

Mike

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  13. The Hollyberry Lady

It's really hard to say, if you don't know what kind they are. Grapes are a fairly easy to grow though, so I'm sure you'll do just fine. If they're grown locally - even better.

Part of the thrill and the excitement will be in the anticipation of what they are. I love mystery plants, and sometimes they turn out to be my best.

Great, you're having such terrific success with germination! Good luck, Mike...

14. mike anders

Hi Everyone

Here are the latest photos of my attempts at gardening!

I thought it may be a good idea to show photos of the seed compost I use & the method of making it.

It will mix much better when very dry so you need to chose a sunny day.
    The 'raw compost' is purchased in a local shop very cheaply. I call it 'raw' because it has all kinds of things in it: bits of wood, string, paper, clay & stones which can be taken out as you like. Then I spread it all out over the concrete patio to dry in the hot sun. This will sterilise it to some extent. Then I add the sharp, or brown sand on top of it at a ratio of 2 compost to 1 sand. When spread out to about 50mm depth, I then tread it down to break up the lumps in it. The lumps of clay will break up much better when dried. It needs to be mixed with a rake or something. A bricklayers trowel is used to break it down further using the sharp cutting edge. A fertilizer can be added at this stage, i.e. organic manure. After a thorough mixing it can then be bagged up and used as required.
    As you can see from the results in the photos it is very good stuff!

The cucumbers were up after only two days!
    The 'Marmande' tomato is from seed sent from Austrailia.
    And, of course, my best seville orange which is now 800mm high!

Happy gardening!

Regards Mike

Attached Files:

15. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Thread closed due to deleted posts. Even if Citrus forum is revived one day, this thread will need to remain closed as it no longer makes much sense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.