Narrow14 ft high privacy hedge around pool

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by divednet, Jan 17, 2010.

1. divednet

divednet Member

Hello, new to this forum. I am looking for suggestions for the perfect solution. I have a two ft wide strip of earth between a wood fence (no below ground barrier) and our concrete pool deck. This area has no shade, southern exposure in a climate zone 7, Arbor Day hardiness zone 9. I'd like to grow a low maintenance, low mess 14 - 16ft tall privacy screen that won't damage the pool structure or lift the pool deck over time. Invasiveness into the neighbors yard is a concern also. Any thoughts on clumping bamboo in containers? Other suggestions? Thanks!

2. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

Given the height requirement, the fact that there is no shade, and the desire to limit the potential for spreading, either Chusquea culeou or Fargesia robusta might work as clumping bamboos. Of the two, the Chusquea is a little more tolerant of direct sun. No particular need to grow them in containers, given there is a patch of bare earth you could plant directly into, but containers would work if you prefer.

3. divednet

divednet Member

Thanks much, I'll check those out!

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Plant selection portion near front of Sunset Western Garden Book has some pages on planting near pools.

5. divednet

divednet Member

Cool, thanks!