pest on my Myers lemon

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by adallman62, May 28, 2008.

1. adallman62

adallman62 Member

I bought and planted a Myers Lemon about 3 weeks age, The tree is about 6 ft tall and has about 20 lemons of various sizes. I am noticing a few leaves that show signs of being eaten. Also I see small white tracks that seem to be caused by a small bug that is just below the surface of the leaves. I need to find out what these are and what to do to stop this

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  3. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

I control them pretty much with horticultural oil spray--It does not kill the moth or larvae, but the moth does not like to lay eggs on the leaves with an oily surface. I spray new growth when the leaves are less than an inch and keep respraying until the leaves are mature--every 3-5 days and after any rains. Do not spray oil except early in the morning or late in the afternoon--just before sunset--spraying oil in the heat of the day can cause damage to the new leaves.

There is also a systemic that you can use on seedlings, imidacloprid--it should not be used on trees that will bear fruit within a year. I do not use it, but many nurseries do. There is one pesticide, spinosad, that will kill the larvae after they are in the leaf. It has very low human toxicity (about the same as table salt), and it decomposes rapidly in sunlight (1-2 days).