Pieris problems

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by sharon77, May 9, 2006.

1. sharon77

sharon77 Member

Re: Pieris japonica 'Dorothy Wyckoff'

100_0840.JPG I am hoping somebody can help me. I have a Pieris Japonica "Dorothy Wyckoff" and last year it was lovely. This year however something is wrong with it. The leaves are turning brown with specks on it. The leaves are also starting to fall off. It just doesn't look well. I gave it water yesterday and also some regular MiracleGro. Does anybody know what's wrong with it and how I can save it? I can't find any info on the Internet about it. Please help.

Last edited: May 9, 2006
  2. oscar

oscar Active Member

3. sharon77

sharon77 Member

Re: Pieris japonica 'Dorothy Wyckoff'

You know what? I just checked out lace bugs on this forum. Somebody else had a similiar problem. Any suggestions as to which insecticide I should use? Or would any spray insecticide work? Thanks so much for replying.

4. oscar

oscar Active Member

5. oscar

oscar Active Member

6. jimweed

jimweed Active Member 10 Years

If its an insect like lace bugs they should be visual, and you should have no problem finding a treatment for that a nursery.There is the possibility of leaf or a shoot blight, and when all else fails get the copper out, a couple treatments and some more fertilizer, may make all the difference in the world. Copper should be a better fungicide for blight than the traditional funginex, and will help promote plant heath. just a suggestion. jim

7. kenroginski

kenroginski Member

Hello Jimweed - what do you mean by copper? My plants look bad and need some help.

I have the same problem with my Dorothy Wykoff Adnromeda I purchased last year. I cannot actually see lace bugs, but all the symptoms show. I have applied systemic insecticide and plant food (Hollytone). But it is May in NJ and there should be new growth, but there is none.

The 3 plants I have are in a sunny location which I know is not good. I really do not have another place to put them. Also a neighbor has the same in a sunny location and the plants look wonderful.

Thanks in advance!
    ken

8. jimweed

jimweed Active Member 10 Years

Hi Ken,

Copper as a fungicide can be purchased as a wettable powder or liquid. This can be applied to the foliage to help control Blight. Copper seems help improve the overall health of plants.

If you are noticing brown spot and or just sick looking leaves, and not having any new growth at all by now, then I would be concerned as to how well these plants are rooting that you purchased last year. Applying Copper may not be suitable at this time.

Although you may have planted these properly. There is the possibility that the roots are suffering. From your description it almost sounds like that may be a concern. If so, is it possible to dig them up and re-plant them? Sometimes this is all it takes to give the roots a new start. Maybe loosen up the roots by hand, loosen the soil around them, and plant them at the proper depth.

I hope this helps,, Jim.

9. Garden Prince

Garden Prince Member

I think your Pieris is infected with the Andromeda lace bug (Stephanitis takeyai). In Europe, especially the Low Countries, many Pieris have suffered from this insect. We spray with Admire from Bayer (I do not know if this product is available in the US). Its important to also spray the the underside of the leaves because that is the place where most Andromeda lace bugs hide.