Identification: Need ID of this shroom

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by Kuhnayjun, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Kuhnayjun

Kuhnayjun Active Member

Found growing on the ground near Campbell River BC.

Attached Files:

2. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Possibly Clitocybe dilatata.
    Though the gill attachment to stem looks a bit different. Was it at roadside?

-frog

3. Kuhnayjun

Kuhnayjun Active Member

It was growing between the road and the river. Your ID does look very close ... Thanks for the help.

4. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

what's the white stuff in the left of the picture - is that snow or ice? that will change our species recommendation but I agree that it's a Clitocybe.

5. Kuhnayjun

Kuhnayjun Active Member

That's just the sun reflecting of moisture on the ground .... These were only seen a couple of weeks ago.

6. Harri Harmaja

Harri Harmaja Active Member 10 Years

Definitely not a Clitocybe! Looks somewhat strange; maybe a species of Gymnopus (Collybia)? (By the way, actually "Clitocybe dilatata" of N.A. usage is Lyophyllum connatum).

Cheers,

Harri Harmaja
    http://www.luomus.fi/users/harmaja/index.htm

7. Frog

Greetings Harri!

Would you describe what it is about the photo that says not-Clitocybe to you? Gill attachment maybe?

Regarding names - "Clitocybe dilatata" is the current name used in this area for the organism that I am referring to, (regardless of whether that is the correct ID for the specimen in the photo or not). So now I'm curious to look up what that name is used to reference in other areas <grin>.

I googled for a photo of Lyophyllum connatum - the species name is not familiar, so I'll pursue whether this critter has been found in this area or not. In general though, I think the specimen in the photo looks more Clitocyboid than Lyophyll-esque ( ...starting to hear a Gilbert & Sullivan tune to go with that :-).

cheers,
    -frog

8. Kuhnayjun

Kuhnayjun Active Member

Well in my opinion (for what it's worth) I think it is much closer to Clitocybe dilatata than anything else I've been able to find. Thanks for the input ....

9. Frog

On C.dilatata & L. connatum:

My taxonomically inclined friend and fellow mycophile Kent kindly traced this Lyophyllum connatum relationship with Clitocybe dilatata, discovering that these were determined to be synonymous in 1995, in Seattle, by Scott Redhead, noted Canadian agaricologist. Scott noted that this information has circulated around the PNW.

... It had not, however, circulated around to me yet <grin>, so thank you Harri for bringing this up.

-frog