Hedge Beside a Cedar Hedge

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by SBinNW, Apr 6, 2009.

1. SBinNW

SBinNW Member

My backyard is separated from my neighbour's backyard by an 8-10' high cedar hedge (not sure what kind of cedar), which was planted by my neighbours on their side. There is also a very old fence along the property line that's in the process of falling over on to our side. I quite like the cedars and enjoy the privacy the hedge affords to both ourselves and our neighbours. So, instead of replacing the fence with another fence I was hoping to plant a different kind of evergreen hedging to compliment and fill in some of the lower gaps in the cedar hedge.

The area is north-west facing and gets only a little filtered sunlight (shading from the cedars). I would love to hear any suggestions for hedging plants that would do well in this area. I was thinking laurel or boxwood, but I'm not sure if they would do so well next to the cedars. Am I better off just planting cedars on my side as well?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The area will be full of cedar roots. Probably better to replace the fence. At any rate, don't plant English laurel as this is a pest species in this region. Japanese holly is often more handsome than box, which is quite apt to discolor unless well sited. However, if you put Japanese holly right up against the cedar the holly may develop a weevil problem.

If the cedar is being sheared or will be at some time you also have to consider leaving access for that operation.

3. SBinNW

SBinNW Member

Thanks once again for your help Ron. I think we'll leave the leaning fence up for this year (we have other more pressing projects), and probably replace it with a new cedar-wood fence come next year. I took another look at the neighbour's cedars and realized they are really pretty sparse at the bottom. The neighbours also have their hot tub on that side of the yard and without the fence, it would definitely be less private for them.

Now, if I were to plant low growing shade tolerant species (I'm thinking the tried and true; hostas and bleeding hearts) about 2-3 feet away from the fence would they fair alright? Any other suggestions for shade tolerant shrubs/perennials that look nice against a cedar+fence backdrop?

Thanks again.

4. Ron B

Potential depends on how bad the roots are right where you want to plant and if the planting strip is overhung by conifer branches. If these are columnar Thuja occidentalis cultivars like 'Fastigiata' or 'Smaragd' (both very common) they won't be nearly as overbearing as a T. plicata hedge or another taller and broader growing kind.

For small plants like those you mentioned you could mound or berm with new soil to get above the roots of the hedge, if it turns out the existing soil is packed with them.

5. SBinNW

SBinNW Member

I'm not sure of the species, but each individual plant is pretty tall and very skinny. I may ask my neighbour if she remembers what they are.

As for adding new soil, our entire backyard was dug up (propertry line to property line and 15 feet down) last summer to remove and remediate a home heating oil tank. The hole was mostly filled with sand and covered with top soil. The landscaper created a few raised beds on one side of the yard beside the fence and cedars where I will be planting the shade species. So, I guess I'm pretty well set. In the next few weeks I hope to bring in a load of mushroom manure to till into the beds before I start planting. At this time I'll be able to better assess the root situation.

Thanks again!

6. Ron B

• Ideal soils, from a fertility standpoint, are generally defined as containing no more than 5% OM
    by weight or 10% by volume
    • Before you add organic amendments to your garden, have your soil tested to determine its OM
    content and nutrient levels
    • Be conservative with organic amendments; add only what is necessary to correct deficiencies and
    maintain OM at ideal levels
    • Do not incorporate organic amendments into landscapes destined for permanent installations;
    topdress with mulch instead
    • Abnormally high levels of nutrients can have negative effects on plant and soil health
    • Any nutrients not immediately utilized by microbes or plants contribute to non-point source
    pollution

http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/~Linda ...ltural Myths_files/Myths/Compost overdose.pdf