grape vine cutting has flowers

Discussion in 'Grapes and Grape Vines' started by krajina, May 21, 2005.

1. krajina

krajina Member

Niagara grape vine cutting,I believe I pruned my grape vine back in April. I pushed cuttings in the ground just from curiosity . Now I see those cuttings are growing and they have 3 flowers, one on each node, (3 nodes). I have no heart to remove those flowers, but I am just wondering are those cuttings too young to produce grapes, or will they die latter on in the summer.
    And, I do want to see grapes on so young grape vines.

2. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

They are too young to be allowed to produce fruit, and would not likely succeed in any event. Better to pinch off all the flowers this year to allow the plant to spend it's energy on getting established. Next year you could allow 1 or 2 to fruit, but again the usual practice is to prevent fruiting.
    If you're curious, and this isn't a commercial venture, by all means experiment: strip some for 1 or 2 years, leave a few bunches on some, let some go without interference and find out for yourself. You might also try a little bit of 10-52-10 fertilizer on some (promotes root development).
    Ralph

3. krajina

krajina Member

Hi Ralph, thank you very much. I did exactly what you told me. No it is not commercial venture, it is me poor older backyard gardener, trying to grow more than this cold weather allows me. By these experiments, very often it causes my neck to hurt. When my bunch of grapes is ripe- come and visit me for some! lol
    Thanks again!!