grape varieties and suppliers for lower mainland

Discussion in 'Grapes and Grape Vines' started by bostock, Nov 7, 2005.

1. bostock

bostock Member

I would like to plant several (table grape) vines in my suburban lower mainland garden this
    spring, and have two questions:

1) I would like to plant one red, one black and one white. I have heard that Sovereign coronation
    is very good for black, vanessa/einset/ are good for red, and interlaken/himrod are good for
    white. I would be interested in any anyone's comments on these or other varieties that ripen
    to produce good flavoured fruit in normal lower mainland summers.

2) Can anyone recommend lower mainland suppliers with a good selection of table grape
    vines?

Many thanks in advance,

Michael Bostock

2. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

Your choices of varieties are fine. I can't specifically help you with a lower mainlend source, but I've always found the people at Aarts Nursery in Langley helpful and patient and willing to re-direct me with my inquiries, as well as Jones Wholesale in Richmond. You are almost better off if your first attempt does not have what you want and can give you an unbiased referral.

Ralph

3. thanks Ralph!

4. northerngrapes

northerngrapes Active Member

If you have trouble finding the varieties you are looking for try Bylands in Kelowna.

Probably my first choice for a red would be Vanessa, Canadice is good as well. Einset is a wonderful grape but it's quite finicky and hard to get a good fruit set some years.
    Simone(blue/black) is really nice and does well in a coastal climate. You could also try Glenora as well for a black grape. If you can get Sooke or Skookum they are great green seedless grapes and better quality than Himrod or Interlaken. You could also try Lakemont. Most of these are decent grapes that should do well for you there.

Cheers

5. bostock

bostock Member

thanks Prairie grapes,

It's been several years since I posted the thread and Vanessa is indeed one of the grapes I planted.

I have a new project this year - I will try to get a current year cutting to grow to
    a 7ft arbor. Last autumn, I had the good fortune to eat some delicious seeded,
    very large labrusca type black grapes in Japan - wonderful (probably Kyoho)!
    Much to my surprize, I found a very similar, large grape (7-8 grams per berry) growing over someone's back fence in Dunbar near UBC. I have come to the conclusion that this grape must be Campbell's Early which is apparently a parent of the Kyoho grape (along with another grape called centennial). Anyway, the owner allowed me to take some cuttings which I have struck and are now leafing out in a warm sunny room. I plan to plant them in mid May once their root systems are better developed (and these seemingly endless winter temperatures abait) ...

If you have experience in getting same year cuttings to grow 7 ft (so that they may begin to bear next year), I would love to hear of it.

Michael

6. cocobolo

cocobolo Active Member

Good morning Michael:
    My wife put a himrod in several years ago, and we have had mixed success with it. Last year, almost no grapes. The previous year, loads. We expect to do better this year as I have been able to install considerable water tankage. There is no regular water supply here, except for rain. No roads, in fact no anything. Whatever we need we have to do for ourselves. I think last years notable lack of grapes was due to lack of water.
    We got the plant from Art Knapps.
    Are your plants big enough yet to be producing this year do you think?