Bleeding Heart (Dicentra spectabilis)

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by Durgan, May 23, 2009.

1. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?BleedingH 23 May 2009 Bleeding Heart (Dicentra spectabilis)
    This is a shade plant, and likes normal moisture, and composted soil around the roots in the Spring.

2. Laticauda

Laticauda Active Member

They are breath-taking! I always enjoy your pictures, thank you for posting them. And I just love your adorable dog!

3. Quincys Slave

Quincys Slave Active Member

I have one and love it! It's one of my favorite spring plants. It's gotten to be a bit of a monster though, it's probably 4 feet wide.

4. JanR

JanR Active Member

You have a lovely plant. I have some Bleeding Heart plants as well. I have notice that there are lots of babies popping up everywhere. They seems to be pretty prolific.

5. Freyja

Freyja Active Member

Beautiful!

I was thinking of putting one in my garden, but can someone tell me -- how long before they get to 4 feet wide?!! I don't think I have that much room.

Can you split them like Hostas before they get that big if you don't have the room?

Thanks.

6. Quincys Slave

Quincys Slave Active Member

I've had mine for I think 3 years (this is the 3rd summer) I am sure hoping you can divide them because that's what I really need to do this fall

7. levilyla

levilyla Active Member

It hard to actually divide them..they have a big tuber and when you dig them up they usually break off so maybe that would make them smaller. Mine have reseeded all over and I have to move them to a larger area. I am sure that where they were are still parts that will come back next year and maybe not as large.

8. Pieter

Pieter Well-Known Member 10 Years

I have to divide mine about every 2-3 years to keep its size manageable, otherwise it would keep a sizable Hosta Fortunei Hyacinthina from being seen. That would be for the nominate form, the 'Alba' is much less vigorous for me and I have yet to divide it after growing it for 10+ years, don't know about the 'Golden Heart', it's new to me this year but I get the impression it's as vigorous as the nominate form.