weeping cherry tree is weeping sap

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by rsteffon, Jan 9, 2006.

1. rsteffon

rsteffon Member

2 years ago I planted a weeping cherry tree and put cypress mulch around the base each timeand it started to sprout buds and We went on vacation for 3 weeks I returned and it had a bal of sap at the crown where the branches start their canopy. It had bled to death. I assumed a borer got in. The next year I put another tree in the same place, onl;t this time I covered the trunk with the mesh tape(so the borer could not get in) and I sprayed it with malathion. Again the tree sprouted leaves and was doing real good then we went home for 2 weeks! When we returned, it had lost all it's leaves and another ball of sap was on the base at the dirt line and it had also bled to death. We are in the process of trying a third cherry tree (we are stubborn). This time I thought we would put one of the preformed plastic mulch bases. I can then put cypree mulch around the base and then also use some moth crystals or a systamic spray. also cover the trunnk with the mesh. Has anyone got any suggestions to prevent the borer from entering the tree.
    Bob

2. Karalyn

Karalyn Active Member

Gee whiz, no answer?
    And are these cherry trees planted in Florida?

3. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

it may be gummosis which is a fungal issue, borer prevention would have no effect.

interesting that a post from 22 months ago from a single post member would be dug up out of the blue...

4. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

Ancient thread - but maybe worth squaring-away.

I'm not aware of trees bleeding to death, and believe some incorrect conclusions are being made.

Good chance the areas of sap are like the amber color substance that oozes from cherry trees due to a bacterial problem.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Multiple possible causes for gummosis.