What a way to start the day...

Discussion in 'Maples' started by JT1, Aug 27, 2013.

1. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

I stepped out the side door to find...My Sharp's pygmy in it's first season of bonsai laid out on the driveway, like a victim of an assault.

....High time to re-pot!!!

Attached Files:

2. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

My guess would be neighborhood cat or a squirrel as the culprit... I came the other morning to find the bark on my bougainvillea bonsai gnawed on in several places, a few nice craters in the soil, and dirt flung everywhere; they also had a dig-fest in the pot for my Taylor's Sunburst pine (thankfully, a nice deep pot), and a small crater in the soil of my Pink Pixie crape myrtle bonsai. :( I put a few larger stones around the base of the trees to cover most of the soil surface, and since then - knock on wood - the $*&^%#!@ squirrels haven't appeared to have messed with them. Though, I did catch one stealing an unripened tomato off one of my plants a couple days later. I think hubby is getting a varmint rifle for Christmas this year...

Whoever was the culprit, that is a terrible way to start the day - hard to tell from the pictures, but was there much damage to the tree? While not always cheap, pots can easily be replaced, while a beautiful tree cannot... Is this the first time something like this has happened?

3. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

was is wind or vicious squirrels?

4. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Thank you all for your condolences / concern and sharing your experiences with similar problems.

My heart sunk when I saw it, but then I realized it could have been worse and was laughing a little to my self as I snapped the assault photos above.

Trying to find the good in this, I found it as an opportunity to make sure my new soil mix is working well (that I started this past late winter). I also felt like I went a little too small in pot size (ignoring that inner voice) when I originally did this bonsai in early spring.

Based on first inspections, I was happy to see the new root development and mostly fibrous roots with not too many runners. But my original feelings of a small pot were also apparent as this may have been struggling at the end of next season. So I guess things happen for a reason. (see photos one and two)

I took a photo after some root raking and felt pretty good about what I saw and the quality of my new mix (photo three). The next photo (photo 4) shows the root mass after some aeration and pruning, but forgot to take a photo of the final root mass before placing it in a pot.

I kind of went with the best pot I could, out of the pots I had on hand, since now was not a good time to go pot shopping. Here is the final product (photo 5), with it's older brother in the background (left side, it's older brother with lot's of reds due to a little stress and cold overnight temps; in a blue pot - this was my very first bonsai creation 3 seasons ago- done on my dinning room table, god bless my supporting wife, because I was in too much pain from a serious injury to go outside- in some ways I feel like this tree may have saved my life and it gave me a sense of fulfillment in my darkest hours)...probably too much information, but it is amazing how one tree and a new hobby can mean so much!

Back to the assault victim, I lost a few branches, but overall I came out okay, all things considered. I think a chipmunk or squirrel was trying to explore the world of bonsai, when it knocked it over. The tree survived many wind storms, so I think it was a rodent.

We had company for a couple of weeks, so I was not keeping the "problem" under control like usual. Just when I think, they are not so bad, maybe a little cute, I get a big dose of reality. Time to get back to controlling the problem!

Attached Files:

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Regardless of the actual cuase of its dethronement, not a good idea to keep them right beside a driveway. Too easy for a thief to drive up in the night and nick the lot. Put them somewhere inaccessible and hidden from public view.

6. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Very good point! A driveway gate is being built as we speak. So far I have been very lucky, no theft. Along the driveway was a last resort as space is becoming more of a premium while the landscape expands to accommodate our plant collecting problem or addiction.

7. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Happy to report that 10 days later the tree is coming along good, despite the assault. My wife talked me into letting her place it out of the shade (the shade of our patio table is my plant hospital) back into it's original spot, so she can enjoy the patio this weekend without having to share the table with my bonsai. I would have preferred to keep it in shade for a little longer, but I am sure it will do fine.

Attached Files:

8. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Thankfully to date, no issues with theft. We took your advice and here is the result.

Attached Files:

9. Charles Philip

Charles Philip Active Member

Who coined the Ph.D Acronym?

10. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Hi Charles,

I came up with the acronym "Practicing horticulture Differently" and added it to my signature.

11. eric the midget

eric the midget New Member

could any of you guys recommend a good book growing maples like this?

12. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

If you're referring to doing bonsai with maples, the only book I'm aware of is the one by Peter Adams, Bonsai With Japanese Maples. I have it, it's pretty good.