Need Help Identifying plant

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by cathyerica, Jul 20, 2004.

1. cathyerica

cathyerica Member

I just purchased a perennial flowering plant from a local grocery store.
    It had no name on it but is was very unusual.
    I thought it might be of an Iris family, but I can't find a picture of it anywhere.
    It has a very long strong stalk, with grey/green long straight strong leaves. Pointy and angled like an exotic plant. At the top of the center stalk, is a grouping of smaller strong pointy grey/green leaves with a cluster of small buds (about 4-5) laying in the center. There are about 4 of these stalk/leaf sections. The leaves come from the bottom of the stalks. Only one of these small buds has a flower open, which is purple and looks like a very small three (?) pedal flower. This flower closes up back into the bud in the evening! I thought the flowers had died overnight (bought it Sunday) because I transplanted it into a larger pot with good dirt and miracle grow water. This morning it was in bloom again.
    I looked at various Lilies and Iris's on line and I can't find it anywhere. It's so strong and exotic looking. I hope someone can help me. I am keeping it outside and it's around 80 degrees during the day, and around 70 at night. Shaded area on patio under umbrella with late afternoon light. There was only a tag on it saying 'perennial" on it. I don't want to plant it in the ground, as I am in an apartment.

2. schwatka

schwatka Member

could it possibly be a daylily?

3. sounds like a type of spiderwort