Best Advice for caring for a containerized Lemon Meyer Tree?

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by lnewportTX, Mar 17, 2009.

1. lnewportTX

lnewportTX Member

Hi everyone,

When I was browsing the forums I found one thread where Millet says

"I must highly congratulate you for keeping a containerized citrus tree alive for 15 years. On average a containerized citrus tree's life span is 2 years, almost always due to the person growing the tree, and not the tree it self. "

I purchased one of my Lemon Meyer trees earlier this month and I am very fond of it. It seems to be doing well and I want to ensure it's good health and hopefully it will live past 15 years.

What is your best advice to a newbie when they start growing Lemon Meyer trees in containers or just in general with Citrus trees?

Thank You!

2. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

As no one has answered your post, I will offer what I consider to be the best advice for a mew container citrus grower. Insure that the growth medium (potting soil) that the citrus tree is growing in is fast draining, has a high level of aeration, and is capable of high water retention. A container should be checked once every year (no later than two years) to insure that the medium still retains all of the above properties. A good rule of thumb is to either transplant a citrus tree at least once every two years into a larger container, or properly root prune, and adjust the foliage to match. In either case it is wise to apply fresh medium that meets all the above criteria this time. - Millet (1,401-)

3. lnewportTX

lnewportTX Member

Thank You Millet!!! Thank You again!

4. DaveF

DaveF Member

Would this miracle gro moisture control be a good material?

http://www.scotts.com/smg/catalog/productTemplate.jsp?proId=prod70262

I just bought one of these plants from gurneys. It arrived as a tiny cutting with three leaves and I'm trying to figure out what to do with it. Gurneys provided really no instruction.

I have a 10" terracotta pott and a bag of the above potting mix I was thinking of using. Would that be a big nono here?

Thanks,

Dave

5. Millet

Miracle grow potting soil = Worse than terrible!

10 Inch container = Absolutely not, use a 4 to 6 inch container until the tree begins to fill the container with its roots.

If you are going to use the Miracle Grow, then mix it 50:50 with small bark chips or 1/4" CHC chips.

Fertilize the tree a minimum of twice a month

Millet (1,272-) Good Luck to you and your tree.
    NICE board is far from nice.

6. DaveF

DaveF Member

Thank you for the reply. I've been using the search function a bit (probably should have done that first!). Thanks for posting so many helpful tips on these trees. I'm going to try to find a better draining soil ... hopefully home depot will have something ... and some of the fertilizers you mention in other threads.

One question ... what do you mean by "NICE board is far from nice. "?

Thanks,

Dave

7. DaveF

DaveF Member

Ok, I've read a boatload of threads here and think I know what my plan is. I found an orchid supply shop right in my town here. So based on searching other threads here, my plan is to go there and buy some coconut husk chips, and coconut husk "peat", mix those 4-1 and add in some time release fertilizer (this stuff from home depotOsmocote Outdoor and Indoor Plant Food 19-6-12 analysis) and then water it regularly adding a fertilizer with minerals (haven't found that yet) twice a month.

Does that sound about right?

Thanks,

Dave

8. Millet

Should work well. Do not be afraid to water your tree. With a 4:1 medium you CANNOT over water the tree. It would even do the tree good to set the container inside a larger container filled with water and or fertilizer solution, and soak the medium or 2 or 3 minutes at at time. What ever water soluble fertilizer you use be sure it contains trace minerals. 30-10-10 W/trace minerals should also do OK. Dissolve 1 tablespoon of Epsom Salts in a gallon of water 3 or 4 times a year and fertilize your tree with it. Good Luck.
    Millet (1,272-)