Lemon tree

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by blackmaxx, Jun 14, 2009.

1. blackmaxx

blackmaxx Member

I have a lemon tree that is losing leaves and they are not being replaced. I also noticed that sap is leaking out of the side of the trunk about 6-7" above the bole. I tried sealing it off with beeswak but that has not helped. The tree is kept indoors and we are pretty sure there are no bugs on it. I have pictures for anyone who can help. Thanks.

2. bobcryer

bobcryer Member

I was wondering where you purchased your lemon tree from, how is it bearing up

3. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

Yes, by all means - a picture says a thousand words!

: )

4. blackmaxx

blackmaxx Member

We purchased the lemon tree from DNA Gardens in Alberta. See http://www.dnagardens.com/
    I'll try to find a way to post pictures..........I don't think it is going to make it. Losing all of it's leaves and DNA Gardens can't be bothered to provide any advice on what is going on.

5. blackmaxx

blackmaxx Member

The leaves turn color (and sometimes not), but eventually fall off. See the bare branch at the top? Rest of plant is the same. And their "expert" told me that it needs to be placed outside. I did it, but it is still getting worse. I don't think the guy bothered to even look into this. Anyways....it is a shame to lose this plant like this.

Attached Files:

6. The Hollyberry Lady

Probably not getting enough light.

: (

7. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Not enough light is not this tree's problem. Citrus originated in SE China, and grew as under story trees beneath taller native trees. Citrus, of course, utilizes light in the process of photosynthesis, which creates the tree's food. For citrus, the process of photosynthesis maximizes at 650 PAR, any light above 650 PAR does not cause a citrus tree to manufacture additional photosynthates (sugars the tree's food). 650 PAR is only 1/3 of full sunlight. It is not normal for a citrus to lose leaves, and not normal for the tree to seep gum. There is a disease of citrus called Gummosis, which is caused by phytophthora. An early symptom of phytophthora gummosis disease is sap oozing from small cracks in the infected bark, giving the tree a bleeding appearance. It is possible your tree has this disease, but it is more likely that it does not. The bleeding, and especially the leaf drop could also be caused by stress. A couple questions: 1). How long have you had this tree? 2). What type of potting soil is this tree planted in? 3). How often do you water this tree, and how long does the potting soil stay wet? 4). How rapidly does the water drain (pass through) the potting soil. 5).What is this trees fertilizer schedule and how often is it being fertilized? 6). What fertilizer do you use?- Millet (1,277-)

8. The Hollyberry Lady

The plant looks like it's half in the dark! Funny the side furthest from the window is where the leaves are missing the most!

: O

9. blackmaxx

blackmaxx Member

The plant was inside for the pic, but is now outside and in full sun all day. They are watered when the soil is dry to the touch, usually every 3-4 days. We were told to fertilize every time we watered. We use all purpose 20-20-20 fertilizer. The soil is regular potting soil. We have had the tree since May 2008. Hope this helps.

10. The Hollyberry Lady

Poor thing - I sure hope you can revive it. I wish you good luck.

: )

11. Ray from PA

Ray from PA Active Member

Millet will be able to give you more details but the three things I would do immediately are 1) stop using a 20-20-20 and start using a 30-10-10 with trace minerals (Miracle-gro rhododendron fertilizer is pretty good) or better yet find a fertilizer with the ratio 5-1-3 and trace minerals, 2) stop fertilizing every 3-4 days, you're probably poisoning the plant. I personally fertilize every two weeks and it works out great, and 3) most importantly, get it out of the standard potting soil immediately. Millet told me about chc, or coconut husk chips, which I couldn't find so I went to the local pet store and got this...

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3092177

and mixed it 3 parts to 1 part peat moss, and it's worked out well. Like I said, Millet will be able to tell you more specific details but these are the three things I can see that are most likely killing your tree. After you repot you should flush the roots by running ALOT of water through it, so you can get some of the fertilizer out of there.

12. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Unfortunately, the average live span of a citrus tree planted in the straight potting soils that are commonly sold in stores is less than two years. Trouble normally begins to show up in a year or less. Potting soils are almost pure peat moss with a little perlite. As Ray advises, you need to transplant your tree into a medium that will supply a high level of root zone aeration, provide excellent drainage, and yet still provide the moisture to the root system that is required by a citrus tree. You can fertilize your tree with every watering, it all depends on the parts per million of nutrition that you apply with every application. Again Ray suggestion to stop using 20-20-20 as your fertilizer is a very good suggestion. A citrus tree, as most all plants, absorbs nutrition through its root system, and a citrus tree absorbs it following a regular pattern. Citrus require a lot of nitrogen, the 1st number in the fertilizer's formula, very little phosphorus (2nd number) and a lot of potassium (3rd number). According to the pattern a citrus tree follows, every time the tree absorbs 5 parts of nitrogen, it will absorb only 1 part of phosphorus, and 3 parts of potassium, plus some trace minerals. The formulation you are presently using is supply a very high level of phosphorus (20 percent -middle number). Further, unlike nitrogen and potassium which are very water soluble, phosphorus is an element that attaches to the medium, and leaches out of the container VERY very slowly, and therefore is building up with each fertilizing. You need to change the fertilizer you are using, to a more appropriate one. Be ABSOLUTELY SURE that any fertilizer you use also contains trace minerals. Also a citrus tree's root system needs to be flushed out 3 times a year, with clean clear water in the amount of 4 times the volume of the container. An excellent medium, one I use on my trees, is a blend of coconut husk chips (CHC) and peat moss. I use 4 parts CHC and 1 part peat moss. Good luck to you and this tree. - Millet (1,276-)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  13. blackmaxx

blackmaxx Member

Thanks all for the very helpful advice. We will make the changes immediately and hope for the best.

14. Ray from PA

Ray from PA Active Member

Glad to help. Let us know how your tree makes out.