When will my monstera produce fruit?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by kelley112, Oct 13, 2006.

1. kelley112

kelley112 Member

I've been growing this monstera deliciosa (spelling?) or more commonly known as a split leaf philodendron, for about 2 years now maybe a litte more it has grown so tall it reached my 8ft heigh ceilings months ago and I have been training it to follow the ceiling. I was just wondering how long it will take it before it fruits and what time of the year they do fruit. I started it from a cutting that a friend let me have, I don't know if that makes a difference or not with these.

Thanks for your help!

2. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

I dont think it will produce any fruit were you are .. they are a tropical plant and will produce fruit where they are originally from or if you are in Florida or a really warm sunny place that like .. they very rarely do were you are from if at all .. but they are still a great plant to have .as i have one that is produceing big leaves and is still a short plant .. I also have a variegated one that is my all time favorite .. :)

Marn

3. kelley112

kelley112 Member

My friend lives just down the road from me and hers did last year. It flowered around christmas and the fruit was like around febuary. I thought that was and odd time and maybe she was just pushing fertilizer then or something. She bought it from a local greenhouse and I took the cutting from it. Its in a south facing bay window and puts out a new leaf about every 2 weeks, it really does grow like crazy!

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

When yours is as happy as hers.

5. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

haha, I like your answer Ron : )

6. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

lol.. good one ...
    try putting it in the same type faceing window as hers ... and see how it goes .. i know mine grows like crazy ..

Marn