Meyer Lemon tree help

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by audrey02026, Jul 7, 2008.

1. audrey02026

audrey02026 Member

Hello, I purchased a 5 gallon Meyer Lemon tree a few months ago. It started turning yellow so I gave it a citrus fertilizer spike and then the leaves were in great shape and it a week later it started to grow all kinds of leaves and even some buds. But a few days later it started to get brownish tan color in the middle on most of it's leaves now the new tiny leaves that haven't finished comming in are all wilted. I first thought that maybe I over fertilized or that maybe I was under watering because The irrigation in the greenhouse was on the fritz and I hadn't really watered it much in a week or so. Then I looked at the roots and they looked rootbound so I repotted it in citus cactus soil and watered it well and left it alone it's been two days and I think it may be getting worse. Oh yeah the leaves even the green ones are dropping and leaving the little green stem on the tree. can anyone help me save the tree? I have no idea what to do now.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  2. audrey02026

audrey02026 Member

here are some pics of the leaves

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  3. Dylan G

Dylan G Active Member

It does not look like it is in the greenhouse any longer. Did you suddenly change its sun exposure from shade to full sun?

4. audrey02026

audrey02026 Member

No I took it out just an hour ago because it's been 110-120 degrees in there and I read that it may be too hot for it so I just took it out and but it in front of it. Should I put it in the shade?

5. Dylan G

Dylan G Active Member

I think the 110-120 degree temperatures were likely the problem. I remember reading a study regarding temperatures with citrus (grapefuit) where the optimum temeperature for photosynthisis was in the low to mid 90's. Lemons need less heat than grapefruits. As for your tree now it will need less water now that it hardly has any leaves. Some shade would also be good to protect the stems from the sun as the leaves are not there to do that. It's going to take time for it to recover. In the mean time you may want to figure out how to keep your greenhouse under 100 or even lower. Extreme temperatures can stress plants and cause damage.

6. audrey02026

audrey02026 Member

Great thanks for your help!! I'll put it on my deck in the shade and hope it recovers.

7. pharisphar

pharisphar Member

Question: did you drill holes in the bottom of that planter? I'm a newbie and thus have been shopping for pots all week to re-pot, and have noticed that all the cute square planters curiously seem to have not have holes, which seems to be a BIG no-no for citrus which need a lot of drainage.

8. audrey02026

audrey02026 Member

Yes it had one hole that had a plug in it. I took out the plug and added three more holes in the bot before repotting.

9. audrey02026

audrey02026 Member

Just an update my lemon tree is finally getting some new growth on the trunk. I had to prune off most of the branches becasue they were dead but the trunch and maye one branch was still green so I left it alone and kept it in the shade outside on a covered porch and it is starting to show signs of life!!!