Identification: Vulgar scary fungi please help

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by violetsky888, May 4, 2009.

1. violetsky888

violetsky888 Member

Hi, I have some rather indecent looking things growing in my flower bed and in the interested in preserving rare life forms I'm looking to get some further information to see whether its ok to spade them under or not. There are three carrot shaped and colored growths with whitish rounded mounds underneath. They also have a hole at the top and mossy green slime oozing out. They stand straight up the first couple of days then start sagging and are between 6 and 7 inches tall. At the base of the stalks is a whitish sheath. They are rather garish in color and rather appalling to look at. (what will the neighbor's think) I'm in Northern Alabama and we've had quite a bit of rain. They are growing in a flower bed with heavy clay and hardwood mulch pushing up around my tulips right near my front porch. My usual policy is anything outdoors I leave alone, and this covers everything from brown recluses to slugs, but these things are really over the top. Please advise. Thans so much. JE

Attached Files:

2. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

Looks like Mutinus caninus or similar. They are a fairly common 'stinkhorn', and they smell like carrion if you haven't noticed yet. Most people are most concerned with how to get rid of them, its nice to see someone who is actually interested in them as a lifeform.

3. violetsky888

violetsky888 Member

Thanks for the lead, I will look up mutinus caninus.There is a heavy odor in the air but its combined with stongly scented roses and other flowers not to mention a koi pond. It doesnt smell bad even up close, maybe a little earthy? Its been raining for days but it looks like they don't like sunlight and are shriveling so I will leave them alone. I'd like to read more about fungi. Every now and then I will see something fantastic and wish I knew more. A couple of years ago one of my parents ancient beech tree had an enormous basket ball sized mushroom growing out of a crevise in the tree 20 feet up and we just oohed and aaahed at but didnt think to look online for answers. Thanks so much, hopefully I will be able to find something on mutinous caninus on the net.

4. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

If these are bad . . . take a look at the 'Stinkhorn Hall of Fame' at MycoRob's link!

6. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Violetsky, at least yours have the decency to erect themselves (sorry) amongst vegetative cover.

7. violetsky888

violetsky888 Member

Wow! I'm getting quite an education. Looks like I've been blissfully ignorant long enough. Any recommendations for books on fungi and where to order them? I know this is off topic, but I'm also looking for a good book on native american artifacts. Looks like I'm the quintessence dilettante of natural science. If there is anybody that wouldnt mind sharing some of their knowledge I have several questions I'd love to get answered about some diverse subjects that I've haphazardly googling or checking out the local books store, but have not found the right material.

8. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years