Identification: Mock Orange indoors?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by tree top, Mar 21, 2006.

1. tree top

tree top Member

I recently picked up a plant and the closest I have come to identifying it is a Mock Orange (aka Sweet Jessamine and something else). What confuses me is that most websites have it in the south as a big outdoor shrub. Do mock oranges exist (well?) indoors or do I even have the right plant??? Will I have to consider finding friends that live further south if this thing starts growing like crazy??? Just curious...

Thanks
    Bev ;o)

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

Mock orange is Philadelphus in my area, pretty sure you wont want to try it indoors.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Identify botanical name of specific mockorange you are studying and use that to compare descriptions.

Many tropical house plants have larger compatriots growing outside somewhere. Norfolk Island pine, for instance, grows 100 feet high outdoors. Indoor specimens are so slow that their size potential is not an immediate problem, although they do eventually become to tall for indoor use if they are kept growing long enough.

4. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hi tree top,

If you found your plant on several websites, surely one of them will have listed its proper name.

Your plant may be Murraya paniculata, a large shrub in warm areas, but easily grown as a house plant as well.