Plant ID - Help Needed

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by TMiranda, Jul 17, 2014.

1. TMiranda

TMiranda New Member

Hello,

I found two plants and need some help identifying them. They caught my eye because I have never seen them before (I regularly visit this area and have never seen anything resembling this plant before) and they certainly seemed quite out of place!

The location was a gravel pad on a dry kame terrace above the Columbia River (West Kootenays), surrounded by a grassy field infested with diffuse knapweed (a common sight out here). This area can be quite muddy in the spring but dries out quickly. There were two of these plants - about 70cm apart. These were the only ones I could locate in the vacinity.

The plant in question resembles an air plant or a quillwort - they seem to grow from a central corm and the leaves are slightly cup-shapped. It is definitely not a grass or sedge... and I doubt that it is native to the Kootenay-Boundary region.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

TM

Attached Files:

2. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

reminds me of a Tillandsia....but just not quite right :/

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Tragopogon, or goat's-beard. I'm not willing to attach a species name to it, but you can compare this one against Tragopogon dubius images.