Arbutus: Arbutus menziesii seed prep

Discussion in 'Ericaceae (rhododendrons, arbutus, etc.)' started by PlantExplorer, Nov 6, 2002.

1. PlantExplorer

PlantExplorer Active Member 10 Years

I was wondering if you had any tips for preparing Arbutus menziesii seed for storage and shipping. My group is currently getting the 2002 harvest ready for distribution, but lately the popularity of our seed has meant that many orders are coming in from all over the world. Since Arbutus menziesii is subject to a number of diseases, are there any specific precautions that should be made before submitting the seed for inspection?

There is a minor dispute among member the Seed Collectors as to how the seed should be stored. Some feel that drying the berries intact, after a disinfecting bath, offers the greatest protection for the seed, while others believe that only a full cleaning is the best approach.

Any tips would be appreciated.

2. HortLine

HortLine Active Member 10 Years

From the book "Native Woody Plant Seed and Colllection Guide for BC" authors Banerjee, Creasey, and Gertzen I quote
    FIELD STORAGE AND TRANSPORTATION PROCEDURES". Fruits can be air dried at room temperture (16-20C); they will need to be rehydrated before seeds are separated from fruits. Alternately, seeds can be separated from the pulp directly after harvest.

Good luck!