Distressed Navel Orange Tree

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by sem179, Jul 8, 2007.

1. sem179

sem179 Member

Greetings!

My inground Navel Orange tree is probably about 2-3years old. We bought it last fall and planted it in the back yard. It was fertilized with Miracle Grow Citris at time of planting and 6 mos after about March. It showed yellowish leaves during the winter, but than turned green again by Feb and developed new sprouts and flowers. We currently have about four tiny oranges on the tree.

About a month or so ago it started turning yellow again. But now it is dropping the yellow leaves and some small branches have turned completely brown. I've inspected for insects and have not found signs of a problem. From my research, I assume it's from underwatering, overwatering, or a fertilization problem. How can I tell the difference??? My guess is poor drainage because we have problems in other areas in the yard. Can the tree be moved at this point? Can I dig up the dirt around it an replace it with something that will dry out faster?? I'm attempting to add pictures...

Attached Files:

2. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

The tree looks under nourished. A citrus tree in Florida the age of your tree requires fertilizing six times a year starting in early March through August/September. For a tree as young as your tree a fertilizer with a formulation of 6-6-6 or 8-8-8 should be used. If applying a 6-6-6 fertilizer apply .4 pounds of fertilizer with each application, with a 8-8-8 formulation apply .3 pounds per application. On one year citrus planted in the ground do not fertilizer with a stronger fertilizer. Apply the fertilizer uniformly in a 3 ft. diameter circle around the tree. Care should be taken to avoid root and trunk damage by uneven placement or mounding the fertilizer against the trunk. - Millet

3. wnight1

wnight1 Member

Hello
    I have a navel Orange tree that is full grown. I have one piece of advice for you. Get rid of all the grass under the tree. All the grass does is to absorb your fertilizer and rob your little tree of water. I have enclosed pictures of my tree and the area under it.
    Trust me, grass is not good for a fruit tree when it is allowed to grow under the tree. I also went to the bait shop and purchased a couple boxes of earthworms and put them under my tree. They eat all my grass clippings that I put under the tree, plus some shredded paper and they turn it into good soil. Also do not let any new growth start up from the base of the tree.
    Good luck.

Attached Files: