Identification: Venus fly trap?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Unregistered, May 13, 2005.

1. Venus fly trap

Hi. Does anyone know how a venus fly trap grows from seed? I was given seeds, but the plants look like foot high grasses, with small white flowers all over. Is this right?

Thanks, ANdy

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Re: Venus fly trap

It does produce bunches of white flowers on bare stems, but these arise from the center of a basal rosette of flat leaves with traps on the ends.

3. goldfishinabag

goldfishinabag Member

Re: Venus fly trap

Hiya. This is what i have. Is is possible it's a different kind of fly eating plant or am i growing weeds!!

Thanks again,

Attached Files:

4. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

hmm no it dont look like one ....mayb it is a type of pitcher plant .. which is kinda the same idea .. but ive never seen anything like that .. mayb google pitcher plants and see what u come up with ..
    good luck

Marn

5. goldfishinabag

goldfishinabag Member

Thanks for the reply. Still no luck though with the Google search. Guess i'll just have to wait and see what happens!

Thanks again,

6. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Looks somewhat like a spider plant, but I have never seen one with leaves that narrow. Spiders are insectivorous; the spider plant is not.

It is an unusual plant. Looks like it is covered with litle baby plants, so you will have plenty of them.

7. goldfishinabag

goldfishinabag Member

Certainly a strange one. It grows about a half inch a day, with even more mini plants! I have 4 of these on the go. I wonder if they'll take over my flat soon.

Thanks for your help guys,

8. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Something on the order of a rush. I've seen ones like it before. Probably got mixed into the seed when it was gathered or got into the pot later. Might be more of them around the neighborhood somewhere.

9. it's a cyperus... probally c. esculentus, and yes, it's a weed, a really bad one too!

10. venus flytrap

venus flytrap Member

ummmm wow.well maybe just keep growing it,it could turn into something wonderful,you never know.....and i dont think its a venus flytrap......

11. flytrap

flytrap Active Member

No... it's not a carnivorous plant.

It looks similar to the Australian sundew Drosera binata v. multifida ...but your photo doesn't show the form nor glistening sparkles of dew of the sundew.