Identification: Help with bonsai ID

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Bartz101, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Bartz101

Bartz101 New Member

Hi everyone,

I was hoping someone could help me to identify my new bonsai I picked up from the local garden center. Any advice or links to advice on looking after it would also be welcomed.

Living in a flat in Wales so cant keep it outdoors.
    Only purchased very recently so haven't got to know when it needs watering yet.
    I don't know a lot about the soil but it seems to absorb water quickly and drains through a hole in the center of the pot.
    Kept on a wide windowsill with the most sunlight in the flat.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. TheScarletPrince

TheScarletPrince Member

Water when the dirt is dry and it appears droopy. Bonsai's do best when kept outside and brought in for special occasions, but I understand in your circumstances this may be difficult.
    Do the best you can and it should do alright! Bonsai does need a lot of little tricks and tips though, like root trimming, soil replacement, etc so best bet is to scour the internet for Bonsai websites with lots of info!

3. GreenLarry

GreenLarry Active Member 10 Years

Looks like a Sageretia to me. I had one years ago. It's a tropical plant so needs winter protection but you might be able to put it outside during summer, say on a balcony? However if it has been kept indoors for some time putting it out in full sun could burn it. Quite easy to grow. Mine died but I discovered when I repotted it that the roots were strangled by wire that should have been removed.