Crosne (Stachys affinis) Final Harvesting and Processing.

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Durgan, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

Crosne (Stachys affinis)

19 October 2009 Crosne (Stachys affinis) Final Harvesting and Processing 19 October 2009 Crosne (Stachys affinis) Final Harvesting and Processing.

Crosne were dug a total weight of 15 pounds from the row, around 40 plants. Seven liters of the crosne were pickled in vinegar for future use, and a liter was left out for eating fresh. The blue tarp under the plants has no real advantage, and will be abandoned next year.

If the climate is congenial, the tubers can be left in the ground and dug as required, but this is not an option in my cold region.

Last year most tubers got ruined, since they were kept under water in a pail, and taste and color changed. Crosne change to a dark color quickly in the refrigerator, so pickling seems like a good choice for storage.

Some tubers were placed in a pot and buried in the ground for seed in 2010. This same practice was successful last year.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
  2. 2annbrow

2annbrow Active Member

North Bend OR US;Oregon coast, just N of Coos Bay
    Durgan -
    nice slide show! I never heard of this (crosne) before! Several questions: What do they taste like? must they be peeled to eat raw? can you permit them to bloom, and if so, what color are the blooms? do they do any nitrogen-fixing? any major pest or disease problems? what about rotation?
    Thank you!

3. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

Taste is probably like a raw potato, no peeling just wash and eat. I never saw any blooms, but it appeared some flowers might form if left forever. No beneficial soil fixes since the whole plant is removed when harvesting. Nothing attacks the plant. It has been grown only two years. I seldom if ever plant in the same place twice.

Does the plant have any value, probably in the eyes of the beholder? I am eating the newly dug tubers much as one would eat TV junk food, a snack. The pickled ones will be tried at various time to see if there is any merit in eating.

I grew them because they were available. Just another vegetable.

4. wolf

wolf Active Member

Crosne is widely used in China for pickling. It is very popular and much valued. In China pickling involves sweet flavoured brines, with little or no vinegar but lots of soy sauce and soybean or flour pastes (sth like misu).

Same with Jerusalem artichoke. Crosne has almost the same texture as Jerusalem artichoke.

5. 2annbrow

2annbrow Active Member

North Bend OR US;Oregon coast, just N of Coos Bay
    Thanks for info!

6. Lactuca

Lactuca New Member

Not sure if you are still active here and I have just joined, but I'm looking into sourcing crosne in Canada. I read through some of threads here and all the suppliers are in the states. Any leads are appreciated. I'm in Edmonton, Alberta and manage a micro farm here in the City. I am looking for a minor commercial crop to start. 50 plants or so...