How to plant fuschias and hydrangeas in the ground

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by darcy sreebny, Jul 3, 2008.

1. darcy sreebny

darcy sreebny Member

I bought containers of hardy fuschias and hydrangeas from a nursery three weeks ago. Since I live in north London and these plants do very well here, I would now like to plant them in the ground. But I don't know what sort of soil to use.

And since I am American, I cannot always tell what the terms used here mean. For example, I believe planting soil is referred to as compost here, and there are two kinds, one for rhodos and azaleas and the other, "All purpose compost" is meant for everything else. Then some of the bags are labeled "contains no peat" and I wonder if that means it's not real peat, just a chemical substitute, or what.

Also, some say that fuschias "love shade," and that hydrangeas require shade, but since they are both labeled "Plant in full sun or part shade", what should I do? Thanks, Darcy

2. mkk

mkk Active Member

I have tried the lovely fuscia bush. I think where you need to plant is in full sun in AM and shade in afternoon. I am an American also and am lost when you described the compost etc.

3. nic

nic Active Member 10 Years

In the UK, compost has two meanings: 1. the lovely stuff you get from allowing garden and kitchen waste to rot down in a compost heap. 2. the stuff you buy in bags and sacks from garden centres and nurseries. This comes in different formulations for different purposes, so ericaceous compost for heathers in pots, cactus mix, orchid mix and so on. General purpose composts are either with peat, or peat free. Peat free either is loam based, John Innes types, or peat substitute, most likely coir based. It will tell you in the small print on the bag. It's just a different nomenclature, I'm sure the stuff is the same.
    I have trouble with some of the gardening terms used here, it took me ages to realise that a volunteer was a self sown seedling, and I find it a very endearing term and am going to adopt it. Still not sure what an orphan plant is, though.
    One of my hardy fuchsias is in black shade most of the year, as it's on a north wall, however, it gets morning and evening sun from about May to September. It is huge, as high as the bedroom windows and eight or nine feet across. I grew it from a cutting about 17 years ago. I have others in the sunnier front garden,too, but none in absolutely full sun.
    I don't grow hydrangeas, but see them happy in all places in other people's gardens. I have a feeling that light levels might affect the flower colour's intensity, that a plant in full sun might be paler, but I might be imagining this.
    If you want to put your plants in the ground, use the soil that's there, I'd bet most of those you see around your area were just shoved in and have thriven.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Kept moist in a dull climate both will grow in sun. Plant in existing soil, mulching afterward unless it appears to be too poor. If you think the soil needs to be modified dig organic amendments into the entire bed or excavate and replace with good topsoil. Do not plant in small pockets of amended or replaced soil surrounded by different soil. Improve the entire potential rooting area or plant in the existing soil.

Mulch after planting in either case.

5. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Nic - as far as I know, an orphan plant is something you thought was an annual, which you had planted a bunch of, that returns as a single plant the next year after wintering over. It's been "orphaned" from its surrounding relatives.

Or I may be wrong. Certainly, that's how I use the term.

Ron is absolutely right. Plant those fuchsias out in the natural soils.

6. nic

nic Active Member 10 Years

Oh, I, see, that's rather nice as well. Thanks, Lorax.
    One caveat, a lot of the hardy fuchsias sold in this country aren't as hardy as you might think. They might be OK in London, which has it's own microclimate, but I've lost a few cultivars here, sold as hardy, but I'm some six hundred miles further North.

7. darcy sreebny

darcy sreebny Member

Thank you Nic from Aberdeen for "translating" the other meaning of compost and for talking about London's own climate. And I imagine that Ron from Washington State has a similar climate to mine in London. Thank you all for the good tips from all over the world! Darcy

8. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

What kind of fuchsia are you growing, Darcy from London? If it's one of the "cold-hardy" varieties, it might have been Ecuadorian in origin.

Your labels say part-shade to full sun, which will do the plant good, but wild fuchsias here are understory plants in the forest. Which means more shade, not less.