sick something?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by lance martin, Sep 1, 2007.

1. lance martin

lance martin Member

Hi i bought a big plant with thick wide purple leaves and put in in my from room.
    the leaves quickly started to turn yellow and get all spotty, then they fell off and appeared to dry up. I thought it was just bad luck so I got another one. but it seams to be doing the same thing. see photos.
    First off: what kind of plant it this?
    second: can any one tell me how to water it?
    I have the root ball raised off the bottom of the pot so it has good drainage. but it drys out really fast. to keep the roots moist. (like the guy in the store said) I would have to water it every few days. does this sound right?
    I have a friend with this plant who says he never waters it and couldn't kill it if he tried.
    what am I doing wrong?

thanks

L

Attached Files:

2. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

What you have there is a Ficus elastica, better known as a "Rubber Tree". Here is a link with a little more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ficus_elastica

It is not uncommon for these plants to drop leaves in response to a new environment, especially if it is a lower light environment. As far as watering regimen, simply wait until the soil is dry, then water. They are relatively drought-tolerant plants. Whether the soil dries up every 2 days or every 2 weeks, it is totally up to your plant...so just keep an eye on it. During its active growth period, it will need more water. When it slows down during the winter months, you will not have to water it that often.

The plant does not appear "sick", despite what you see on the leaves. It's just the way the leaves present before dropping. I do think it is simply trying to adjust to it's new environment...you may want to find a place with a little more light, though.

3. lance martin

lance martin Member

thanks for your help.

L