vinegar is a great weed killer

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by JCardina, Jul 7, 2008.

1. jasonelliott

jasonelliott New Member

Let us use Mr Jim Fuller's absurd opinion to examine nature. Carbon (C)is the basis of all life on earth. Sounds awesome. Oxygen (O2) is needed by all living things to metabolize...well...everything.
    Now let's mix those two...oh oh! The chemoreceptors in my body are over reacting. Why am I breathing so fast. CO2 combines with hemoglobin 19X better than O2. Now my carbon dioxide level is at a critically high level...ohhh...I getting light headed....whoops I passed out... now I am dead.
    How can this be? Because I took completely harmless elements, and combined them into a by-product that can kill.

I didn't join this website to read this garbage. The creator of this thread has a right to their opinion. I have tried their advice, and it works on some things, but not on all. Someone made a good point about the potential damage to soil from the acetic acid. I don't know, but I refrain to using the vinegar to my driveway, and sidewalks where it does not seem to have a damaging effect.

2. soccerdad

soccerdad Active Member 10 Years

This is very strange. I spray strong solutions of vinegar - about 15% acetic acid - on my houseplants to kill mealy bugs and none of the plants has ever suffered a bit even if I literally drench them. I have read that it kills weeds but it has never had any effect on any that I have sprayed on or near my patio.

3. Hyland

Hyland New Member

We all want quick fixes when it comes to weeds. My concern is what vinegar or any other product does to earth worms. It has been said by the gardening experts that we should have a dozen worms per square foot of earth. I'm lucky if I find 2 or three. The only real solution is to keep the earth healthy with lots of compost. The real solution is to dig the unwanted flower (weed) that just wants to grow where we don't want it.
    My neighbours wonder where the bees are and they are out there killing every dandelion out there. The dandelion is the first flower that bees like in the spring. How we can be so obsessed to get out there and kill every dandelion and in a sense we are killing our bees. Just a thought.

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Well said! Agree fully.