Poison Ivy, False & Positive

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Waterfeller, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Waterfeller

Waterfeller Member

I'm pretty sure the plant on the right is poison ivy and the one on the left is not. But I've got a lot of both and would like to know the identity of the one on the left. Both are low growing creepers in our garden.

Attached Files:

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

I'd agree. On the left, Poison Ivy (Toxicodendron radicans) and on the right one of the Sumacs. Possibly it's Rhus vernix, Poison sumac - the red main venation (because what we're looking at is leaflets, not leaves proper, what appears to be the stem of that bit is actually the main vein structure.) along with the leaflet shape and arrangement certainly points towards that...

Wear gloves.

3. David in L A

David in L A Active Member 10 Years

Clematis on the left

4. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

the one on the left is not poison ivy. david's call of clematis is more than likely correct.

the one on the left is definitely one of the 'poison' types...probably sumac - doesn't quite look like the poison ivy i have here.

'leaves of three, let it be'

the one on the left, although it's three leaves, the growth pattern isn't quite right for poison ivy - the three aren't close enough...if it had been left to grow, the middle leaf would have continued growing away from the pair - and more pairs would develop.

the one on the right, the three leaves are closer together AND they have a shinyness to them...that's a give-away that it's one of the poison ivy's/sumac's. the one on the left has no gloss to the leaves...perfectly safe to handle.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Clematis for me as well.