Identification: Tiny White Mushrooms?

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by hatlady, Jun 19, 2006.

1. hatlady

hatlady Member

I have discovered some tiny creamy white mushrooms under our spruce trees. Can anyone help me identify them & whether them might be edible!?

2. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

Need pic. There are MANY tiny creamy white mushrooms. don't take chances.

3. hatlady

hatlady Member

I love to take chances but NOT with unidentified mushrooms! I have a picture but have not been able to get it from my pc to this site! This is not my area of expertise!
    Sorry

4. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

If you email it to me, I will post it on the site: robbudo@yahoo.com

PS Wise man once said "There are old mushroomers, and there are bold mushrooms, but there are no old and bold mushroomers."

5. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

Ok Folks,

This is the image emailed to me. Despite the low resolution, I can only assume it is the best that can be produced. It is hard to make an ID based on this picture, but if someone forced me to make a guess, i would put it in the genus Marasmium with certain uncertainty.

Attached Files:

6. Harri Harmaja

Harri Harmaja Active Member 10 Years

Agreed, most probably a gilled agaric of either the genus Marasmius or Mycena. Even if we knew how a fruitbody looks like as seen from the underside, an identification as to species might be impossible.

Regards,
    Harri Harmaja
    http://www.fmnh.helsinki.fi/users/harmaja/index.htm

7. manuel silva

manuel silva Member

My guess is: Hemimycena candida
    (we definetly need a better picture and description)
    It could be: Collybia cirrhata;Marasmiellus ramealis; Mycena galopus candida...

I've enjoy the quote of MycoRob!

8. hatlady

hatlady Member

Next year when my tiny white mushrooms appear again I will take a picture with my macro lens on my 35 mm camera & hopefully have my scanner working then too. That should take care of the quality. I don't know about getting pictures of the underside though. These mushrooms are not much bigger that a straight pin used for sewing so underside pictures might be difficult. If you have any suggestions about that I would appreciate them.

Thanks for all your help. I'm sure I haven't gotten as much help from any other site.

9. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

You could scan the underside of the mushroom instead of attempting a photograph. The technique is fairly simple: scan in a dark room with the lid open. You'll get images that look something like this.