Help identifying Green Matsumurae

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Unregistered, Sep 26, 2003.

1. Greetings all,

After looking at numerous pictures and reading about Green Matsumurae's, I am still a bit lost as to what I bought from a rather shady nursury who promptly went out of business not long after I purchased what I hoped was an Osakazuki. This was a few years ago and I did not know much about Japanese Maples at that time. The tree I have is not grafted. It is very very sensitive to heat and wind compared to the other 10 or so species of Japanese maples in my garden. It's seeds are quite large compared to Sango Kaku or Garnet but it is not a Palmatum.

Spring growth is very different to the other maples as it starts off green with red tinges and as the leaves get bigger, it becomes a very dull rusty green until the leaves reach full size. This can take over a month and then the leaves turn lighter green until the tree resembles something normal.

The summers where I live can be very warm to hot and quite often it will drop its leaves and new ones will develop but it will never last the season and I have no idea what colour the leaves turn as Autumn approaches. This is rather frustrating as I would love to see the colours it has. I have had the tree (about 2 metres high) for four years. Last year, a severe drought and very hot temperatures took its toll on the tree and two thirds of it died even though I nutured it along with the other maples.

No Green Matsumurae in J.D. Vertrees Japanese Maples looks anything like the one in my garden.

Any suggestions on what it might be would be appreciated.

Picture could be available if anyone wants to look at it as it is just budding out now.

Regards

Stephen

2. SilverVista

SilverVista Active Member

If you are absolutely certain that the tree is not grafted, then it may not be a named cultivar such as 'Osakazuki'. It's possible that it was grown from a cutting, but not likely. If it is grown from seed, then it is just a random seedling and even if you knew the parentage, it would be no guarantee of the specific traits of this particular tree. Once you get some leaves, a picture would be helpful. Also, maybe a close-up of the buds. I'm wondering if you got ahold of a vine maple <i>Acer circinatum</i>?

Susan

3. stephen2602

stephen2602 Member

Hi Susan,

I have been away for the last week and it is starting to produce leaves and fruit so hopefully over the next week, I can get a picture to post here. I believe it has the look of a Matsumurae and it is not a Palmatum... but I could be wrong.

Spring is a wonderful time of the year.

Keep an eye out for the pic.

Regards

Stephen

4. stephen2602

stephen2602 Member

Finally got around to posting a couple of pics. As mentioned earlier, I don't believe it is an Osakazuki even though it looks similiar to one. When I put an Osakazuki leaf up against the unknown tree, there are major differences and they are completely different when opening up from the bud stage.

Looking forward to any responses.

Regards

Stephen

5. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

so where did you hide the pictures?

6. stephen2602

stephen2602 Member

I wish I knew. I attached them but they did not appear. I have tried a few times to no avail.. Is there a trick?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2003
  7. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

8. stephen2602

stephen2602 Member

Err.. umm.. I am an idiot.. It never occurred to me to wait for the image to upload. I now know what to do.

Stephen

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2003
  9. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

No, definitely not an idiot. Even though I'm a "techie", I'll let you know my thoughts on the matter:

The software failed you, because there should be a message letting you know you may have to wait - it's a design flaw. As a user of a tool that should work for people of all levels of familiarity with computers, you should be able to expect it to "just work".

The design flaw has been pointed out to the designers of the software (used on thousands of bulletin boards around the world) and they are going to be making the small change to inform the user to wait, initiated by a query from me regarding a user having difficulty with attachments on the UBC forums (unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be the problem for him - we still haven't figured it out sadly).

I'd spend more time letting users know some of the quirks, but there are going to be some big changes upcoming with the forum software (with improvements on the user interface), so I'm waiting for that.

Anyway, enough derailing the thread from me.

10. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

Definitely not an osakasuki, whose leaves are somewhat 'stumpier' in appearance (at least they were on my osakasuki until it died on me a few years ago)
    It is probably a seedling ... none the worse for that ... I hope you get the pleasure of an autumn colour soon

11. Elmore

Elmore Active Member 10 Years

Matsumurae ID

Perhaps it is 'Semi-no-hane' from a rooted cutting.