Propagation: Pelargoniums

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by MickiS, Nov 11, 2008.

1. MickiS

MickiS Active Member

Hi I have had limited success rooting pelargoniums by placing cuttings in water. I would appreciate some advice. Thanks
    Mickis

2. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Re: propagating Pelargoniums

Stem cuttings three or four inches long root easily. Remove the foliage on the bottom of the stem. Three or four small leaves toward the top are all that are needed. Because of the high sap content in the stems, the cuttings are less likely to rot while rooting, if they are left to dry, out of the sun for an hour or more before placing them in a sterile medium. We have had the best results using a perlite-vermiculite mix. Water them thoroughly initially, and then keep them rather on the dryer side, and provide a fairly warm temperature. Pot them up as soon as roots form. Of course, it is also possible to root a small number of geraniums on a windowsill by placing a "slip" in a jar of water. However, the success rate is normally lower by this method. - Millet

3. MickiS

MickiS Active Member

Re: propagating Pelargoniums

Hi Millet Thanks so much for the quick answer. I will take them out of the water and let dry a bit then plant in the mixture you suggested. :)
    MickiS