Identification: Fungi Identification

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by alltoys, Dec 30, 2005.

1. alltoys

alltoys Member

Hello members
    New to the group and need some help with identification of a specimen. I have attached a pic of it. It is from Mid-Michigan and grew up from an old rotten box elder tree in my yard. it measures approx 14" dia. I since have dried out this piece and gave it a nice coat of clear urethane to protect it. I plan on giving it to a nature lover as a gift and would like to know what it is called? Any help on ident. would be appreciated.
    Thank You
    Bill

Attached Files:

2. wrygrass2

wrygrass2 Active Member 10 Years

3. Thank you Harry for the info, I have sent this pic to Tom Volk and he thinks it may be a form of Ganoderma. He gave me the link below to see a picture of it http://botit.botany.wisc.edu/toms_fungi/mar2005.html.
    It does resemble my specimen.
    Thanks for stearing me to Tom's fantastic site!
    Bill

4. wrygrass2

wrygrass2 Active Member 10 Years

Thanks for the followup. I should say in all my fungus ids that they are at best coming from an amateur in the field. :) But it helps to find out the real answer. I found the growth form very interesting where the stem becomes inverted and so the top and bottom are reversed as in the normal polypores that or the ones that I'm familiar with in any case (at least in the one pictured on Tom Volk's page). Tom Volk has a lot of interesting pages on his site on identification and growth forms, by the way. He certainly is the expert, or just maybe the most recognized on the internet.

Harry

Last edited: Jan 2, 2006
  5. cmh79

cmh79 Member

I think it would be Ganoderma microsporum Hseu