Genetic changes of apples in the tropics

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by jamkh, Jan 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamkh

jamkh Active Member

The apple is temperate fruit and as such requires a certain number of hours of chilling/dormancy (from the low 200 to the high 1000 hours). Yet Applenut had mentioned that apples grow in Batu in Indonesia and I would imagine that these apple trees have been turned into evergreen from their deciduous heritage, Now dormancy in plants is a genetic trait, then have the batu apple plants undergone genetic changes when their phenotype adapt to become evergreens in the tropics? Hardiness in plants is controlled by their genes, then does adaptations due to environmental stress follow/or dictate changes in their genes.
    I had toyed with the idea of creating a tropical maple. I would like to entreat applenut to comment on the possibility of my quest. Does he believe that the techniques applied to turn the apple tree into an evergreen may be just as applicable to the maple? I shall be greatly indebted if he can suggest how I should proceed to tropicalize the maple. Thank you for any advice in this matter.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

1) You are asking advice about growing maples in the fruit trees forum. 2) This thread topic exists elsewhere. 3) You are also asking a question of a particular person. My suggestion is to use the Private Messaging system to invite the person to participate in that thread. Closing thread.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.