How to store bulbs in the house?

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by devongirl, Jun 20, 2005.

1. devongirl

devongirl Member

Can anyone give me a tutorial on how to care for bulbs?
    I live in zone 3 Alberta and have a very small yard with very limited garden space, this is only our 3rd year here.
    Last fall I bought and planted some bulbs. Tulips, hyacinth and stargazer lilies. The hyacinth came up nice and early and bloomed beautifully. The tulips came up and grew to the point of just about opening, when something happened? I don't know what, and they never bloomed. They died off eventually. The lilies are just about to bloom now.
    Now I realize that keeping the bulbs in the garden isn't very practical for my small spot, if I want to have plants and flowers throughout the rest of the season, there just isn't enough space (I'm talking small garden here folks!). So I would like to know if I can dig up the bulbs (tulip and hyacinth) and store them in the house over the summer, then plant them again this fall?
    I really enjoyed having the early flowers, but cannot afford them the space through the rest of the year.
    Any help is appreciated!

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

This should be no problem. Just wait until the plants die back, then you should be able to dig them up. Dry the bulbs and store them in a cool dry location.

3. devongirl

devongirl Member

Oh good! Thanks so much Eric.

4. douglas

douglas Active Member 10 Years

hi not sure were Devon is

We are a few minutes of lattitude of Edmonton.We leave our bulbs in the ground untill fall and then pull and dry them.

I replant in the spring / doing this we find that the chriters do not eat them , and we get a great display.

Cheers Doug

PS. We have an average display of 200/ to /250 bulbs. In the Front yard .

5. knaish

knaish Member

6. Megami

Megami Active Member 10 Years

Along the same topic, I've got some bulbs planted in big pots. I was going to leave them in the dirt in the pots and just bring them in as is to store for the winter... is this a bad idea? Should I be digging them up out of the pots instead and storing them without soil?

7. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hi Megami,

I would recommend that you remove them from the soil. That way you can inspect them for any problems and assure that they will stay dry with no bugs that might hibernate.

Newt