HELP Sap Problem: Liriodendron tulipifera (Tulip Tree)

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by Jennifer, May 13, 2004.

1. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

We moved last fall (live in Vancouver, BC) and inherited a beautiful, huge tulip tree, 3 times the height of our house.

The tree is dropping large raindrop size sap everywhere, including our windows and patio. It began a few weeks ago (late April). Is there something we can do to prevent this sap storm?

Thanks!
    Jennifer

----------------------------------

FYI:

This particular tulip tree produces pods that turn to seed in the fall but don't seem to flower like I've heard them described on various websites. Here is a link with a description of a tulip tree:

http://www.wellesley.edu/Activities/homepage/web/Species/ptuliptree.html

2. douglas

douglas Active Member 10 Years

Hi

Do you Know when the tree was last pruned? Also is it sap that is leaking or a black sticky substance?

Any chance of posting a pic

Regards Doug

3. mr.shep

mr.shep Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hi Jennifer:

I think you are stuck with living with the honey dew problem for
    a long while as you keep getting more blooms to set.

The true Tulip Tree is not a profuse bloomer anyway so do not
    expect to have lots of flowers. I guess that is good in that the
    least amount of flowers, the lesser the amount of honey dew you
    will have to endure unless you are interested in having some bees
    make some honey for you. Tulip Trees are a source for honey
    production in various parts of the US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liriodendron

Jim

4. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

Thanks for your replies. I really appreciate it. The link is great too. I had no idea the tulip tree was a source for honey production.

I was wrong when I said the tree didn't flower. The flowers weren't obvious until I looked much closer as most are quite high up. The tree has hundreds of them and they look the same as the link provided - yellow with a bit of orange on the bottom. Are the flowers the cause of the dripping (honeydew)?

One person suggested it may be an aphid infestation as we have lots of ladybugs on the tree.

The tree was pruned in the fall last year but the cuts were close to the trunk, not out in the branches. The drips are not around its base, more so around the foliage. The dripping is clear.

I've attached some photos of the drops and of the tree.

Thanks again.

Attached Files:

5. mr.shep

mr.shep Well-Known Member 10 Years

6. I eventually cut mine down...

7. angilbas

angilbas Active Member

A more pest-resistant strain of Tuliptree grows in east-central Florida. It is almost evergreen, as it tends to retain its old leaves (unless a freeze of -6C or lower strikes) until the new ones appear in January. It flowers in February or early March (or January, in exceptional cases) ... specimens of more northwestern origin always bloom after the equinox, even in Orlando or Tampa. It's doubtful that this strain would do well in Vancouver, where the average temperature of the warmest month is about the same as the coldest month at Orlando, but a specimen is thrifty in central Texas. More info is at http://www.floridata.com/tracks/trees/TulipPoplarCentFla.htm .

-Tony